River Bottom Hunting with terrain

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Filj59

River Bottom Hunting with terrain

Unread postby Filj59 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:02 pm

First off - this site is incredible, totally changed my mindset

Second, What would you do?

Missouri, public land for a 5 day hunt. River bottoms with crop in the bottoms, but 150 ft elevation on both sides. I have spots picked out, but will I bump/intrude too much on going in blind and wanting to check out the terrain? Is walking 6 miles to check everything out the first day a bad idea? If I bump a buck if I/him doesn’t necessarily know where I’m going the next few days gonna matter?

Disclaimer: I’m from Arkansas White/Cache river bottoms where everything is flat and has 5 foot terrain changes at the most.

Thanks,
Daniel

Rich M
500 Club

Re: River Bottom Hunting with terrain

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:04 am

Personally, I hate these little 3-5 day hunts and get to play that game in FL.

I'm not from around there but it seems like you should be seeing the bedding up high on the ridges.

Watch the public land challenge videos - think there are only 4 or 5. It will help. Helped me a lot this year.
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:40 am

I'm working with the mentality that you're better off getting in there and getting good intell knowing that you are going spook some deer, but getting useful information day one. Otherwise I imagine you'll pick your way into things learning a little more each day with the hope that you learn enough to be deadly before you go home.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:59 am

for a 3 day hunt I would not go in until I am ready to hunt. You can get intel just as easy with a bow in your hand and then hunt it hot and fresh.
Filj59

Unread postby Filj59 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:55 am

Thanks for the responses guys. Oh, I’ll definitely be hunting. But was planning on scouting/walking a bunch the first morning after around 10. Still learning how topos truly reflect once the boots are on the ground. Like I said, the Arkansas delta is as flat as it gets, so this is new to me.
Ozark goat hunter

Unread postby Ozark goat hunter » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:44 am

Missouri resident here.
I hunt terrain just like you’re talking about.
As others have mentioned, I’d scout for fresh sign, then hang and hunt.
I included a video that Dan made that should help you understand hill country hunting a bit better.
https://youtu.be/PmLdls0FBMc
Good luck!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”