Busted again

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ahab

Busted again

Unread postby Ahab » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:43 pm

I was busted by does again tonight. I was 25’ up a tree, with a small platform and a sit-drag. I was down wind of them. They saw me. I was as still as could be. One stared at me for minutes, pawed the ground a bit. Eventually she blew and split. Her girlfriend s did the same.

I was wearing a rock climbing harness that has some blue straps. Could that be part of the problem?

wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Re: Busted again

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:22 pm

What was behind you for cover? Was the tree between you and them?
I have seen in studies that blue to a deer is like blaze orange to us... :think: ?
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:36 pm

wolverinebuckman wrote:What was behind you for cover? Was the tree between you and them?
I have seen in studies that blue to a deer is like blaze orange to us... :think: ?

I've heard the same thing about the color Blue. Interesting none the less.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:01 am

That's a new one to me. Maybe you can do a test with some blue fabric or something and see if deer see it?

My first thought was that you were sky lighted from their angle.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:30 am

Shake it off and go get em.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:53 am

Either a thermal got you, they saw movement or they skylined you. Multi trunk trees, low limbs, forks, etc. with a good backdrop are what I prefer. A lot of times I am not 10 feet off the ground. When I am hunting from a saddle, I try to keep the tree between me and the deer. If you set up properly it is especially hard for a deer to pick you out of a tree, while hunting from a saddle. Sometimes I may get winded by deer, but rarely do I get seen by them.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:57 am

same tree? if so they are on to you - move. If not the same tree, and winds are true, and then didn't hit your entry trail - then move less.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:23 am

thermal wind skylight ive had does see or hear me setup before and still walk out and look right at me. some does and bucks are better at picking you out and dont tolerate a big lump on the side of a tree moving or not. if its a ld smart doe in the area your hunting you might need to be more selective on the tree your using or just avoid her. does normally start blowing when they fully have you pegged. one thing you do know is there are more deer in area they tend too blow more when other deer are around.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:39 am

Blue is a bright color to them. But it's more likely they picked you off because you didn't have any cover to break up your outline or backdrop. It happens. I've seen them spot my sticks on a tree. Some does were walking by and they spotted the first stick, then looked up to the 2nd stick, then the 3rd, then me in the stand. Was kind of funny to watch the progression as she took a second between moving up to the next stick each time. When she saw me she bolted.

Their eyes aren't as poor as some believe. They may not have the color differentiation of visible light that we do but they can still see in crisp detail and are really keen on picking up motion. Their eyesight gets better when light is low while ours gets poorer.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:38 pm

Studies show they see blue well. I’ve personally been skylighted many times and as a couple mentioned the background might have something to do with getting picked off. It’s probably one of the more frustrating things to happen- when you do so many things right but still get busted.
Persistence is undefeated.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”