Suggestions on Bedding Areas

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

CaptainBuck
Facebook: Dylan Langlois

Suggestions on Bedding Areas

Unread postby CaptainBuck » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:48 am

Hey guys, wanted to get some input on some land and possible bedding areas. This area is real swampy. The area marked as camera is bordered by swamp on both sides (I do have a camera there, I'll get into that in a bit). So the swamps haven't had any water in them until this week, now I have to cross 20 yards of swamp at about knee deep (I don't mind). So that area is like a funnel now. I went in to check my camera today which I put on a heavily worked scrape with plenty of green rubs around 2 weeks ago. I've got multiple shooters in daylight morning times. BUT. While I was creeping a long the hardwood island and got to my camera, I bent down and opened my camera, heard some brush move and saw one of the shooters I have on cam at about 35 yards through the hard woods. He trotted for 10 yards, stopped, and then I lost sight of him. Never heard him blow. I swiped my card and hurried out of there as quietly as possible. I'll go hunt this area probably after a week or so, kinda let it calm back down. What areas would you think these bucks could be bedded, I've got a 130-140inch 9 pointer in daylight activity. He hit the camera 4 out of 14 days it was out at 8:30am. The other bucks are probably around 110-130 (Shooters for me) and have been more consistent. Give me some input!

CaptainBuck
Facebook: Dylan Langlois

Re: Suggestions on Bedding Areas

Unread postby CaptainBuck » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:26 am

I know I didn't get any replies to this but I have an update. I sat friday evening. Got in there around noon and sat 20 yards from the camera I have shown marked on google maps. Everything was going great until I had to ditch the stand off my back. It was dead silent out, absolutely no wind, and I'm carrying a heavy climber. I waded the slough got set up real nice wearing a ghillie suit. At about 4pm we had a heavy rain then the temps literally dropped 10 degrees. Whats also pretty neat is my scent was being pulled down a hill and towards the swamp. well from 4:15-4:45 I had a wild encounter with a big 8pt. Probably score around 120-130. Problem was instead of going to the scrape he came straight at me. He got within 10 yards before I had an opportunity to change positions. Well he noticed something was wrong and we had about a 5 minute stare down then he eased off the way he came. I thought it was over but instead he came back and headed straight for the scrape where I had a perfect shooting lane. I had 2 oaks to draw on when his head went behind them. He got to the last one and I drew, then he peaked around the corner of the tree all I could see was a horn and an eye looking at me, held that draw for around 2 minutes and my arm gave out and off he went. Hunting this area in the morning but carrying my climber in for sure. It was an amazing experience for sure! :lol: Hope to stick him or another in the morning.
Jackson Marsh

Re: Suggestions on Bedding Areas

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:28 am

Good luck captainbuck. Sounds like a fun but frustrating hunt, hopefully you get another crack at him.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”