Climber vs strap on-noise

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wild public
Facebook: Joe Mckinney

Climber vs strap on-noise

Unread postby Wild public » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:53 pm

So I’ve discussed this somewhat in the past. I had asked which route to go. Ended up getting a lone wolf hand climber.. I know one of the draw backs is versatility..I have scouted and hunted several bedding areas already this year and have yet to find a situation where I couldn’t use my climber. But I hunt big woods area almost exclusively,,I’m sure I will come across a situation eventually where I need a strap on..but the one thing I’ve noticed is the noisiest part of my setup is climbing the tree ..Is the stick and stand quieter? If I went to stick and stand I would be adding more weight. ( I would want 5 sticks for height because there is such a shortage of low limbs for cover,and I usually climb 20-25 and on hillsides sometimes 30feet). The only reason I would change would be to be quieter but is it worth it with the obvious negatives ? I cringe at the noise I make scrubbing the tree when I climb. Any feedback would be appreciated thx

Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Re: Climber vs strap on-noise

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:11 pm

I luv my climber but boy no matter how hard I try...I’ts not quiet
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:41 pm

I have the lone wolf climber and can get up very quietly and have done so when I saw deer ahead when getting late to my spot. I have the belts which are quiet to me versus my old lone wolf with the metal bars versus the belt. I grew up using the old Baker climbers so have a lot of experience climbing and love them. I do use the lock on for swamp setups, etc.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:53 pm

I find I make much less noise with my summit climber then any of the stick and hangon setups I have used and still own.

For a climbing stand it's best to spend the money on any product to help make the stand quieter and also make climbing up and down more fluid.

Lots of practice and always remember this (fast is slow and slow is fast) never rush or make yourself feel like your going to be late, that will cause you to try to do things faster and sure enough it will cause noise.

I try to stay off lose bark tress as much as possible, they will make the most noise. Hardwoods are my fav to climb.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:38 pm

If your comptemplating a change, look into the saddle systems. Tethred has all you need, or Areohunter. This is my 1st year with one, been using a LW alpha assault since 06. All you have for noise is sticks, and I don’t recall those making any. :mrgreen: The saddle setup weighs in at maybe 2lbs with your tether and linesman belt. They take the place of your safety harness anyways. 5 sticks would be about 10lbs or so, plus another 2, plus a platform or ring of steps (3lbs or less) you are probably right around the weight of the climber?

I really like mine, still getting used to it, but I like being able to hide behind the tree.

Just a thought.
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:24 pm

I think AB nailed it - slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Every movement I make when I'm climbing is as smooth and deliberate as possible. I don't rush to get up the tree because I think the longer "strides" you're trying to take, the more likely you are to scrape and make noise. I also have to consciously point my toes down every time I bring up the platform to get it freed up completely from the tree. Same thing with the tree strap as I move it up ahead of me - get that sucker loose so it doesn't hang up on the bark. You can definitely be silent with the LW hand climber, but it did take some getting used to for me. What little noise I do make I don't believe is audible enough to spook deer unless they're right on top of me. I have brought a climber down a tree within 40 yards of bedded does without drawing any attention. As long as you're not limited by trees, I don't think there's a great reason to switch. Either system takes practice and familiarity to be quiet with. I am probably in the minority on here, but the hand climber works great for me.
WMAn

Unread postby WMAn » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:21 am

Also, not all noise is bad noise.

Clanging metal is always bad. But, scraping bark may not always be bad.

A guy on another forum discussed this in detail. His thoughts were basically bark noise is unavoidable in a climber. Do your best to minimize it so that you sound more like a raccoon or squirrel than a guy struggling to operate a climber.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:53 am

A5BLASTER wrote:I find I make much less noise with my summit climber then any of the stick and hangon setups I have used and still own.

For a climbing stand it's best to spend the money on any product to help make the stand quieter and also make climbing up and down more fluid.

Lots of practice and always remember this (fast is slow and slow is fast) never rush or make yourself feel like your going to be late, that will cause you to try to do things faster and sure enough it will cause noise.

I try to stay off lose bark tress as much as possible, they will make the most noise. Hardwoods are my fav to climb.

Exactly.

The only thing I would add is putting stealth strips where there is metal to metal contact.

Bob

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:03 am

Sticks and stand are 100% quieter. Who cares about the weight especially if its less than a 5lb difference. Many here have run the gambit going from climber to saddle to whatever. For simplicity and ease of set up its really hard to beat a lone wolf and sticks. its the most cost effective as well. Saddle hunting is cool and its has its utility but its also expensive if you don't go the DIY route. With all the gear gadgets and experimentation with what works for you can easily rack of some serious loot with saddle hunting gear. I do like it and use a saddle on occasion and had used one for exclusively for a few full seasons, but there are a lot of moving parts involved. At least that's what I've experienced. I always feel like I have to bring 10 extra things with me and you cant put layers on in the tree. But that being said there is barely a tree in the woods or marsh that I can't effectively hunt with sticks and a lone wolf. I cant say the same based on the environments I hunt for the other alternatives. Stand and sticks Is simple, safe, comfortable and what's really allows you to get tight to bedding with zero noise once you learn the routine and its totally contained. But overall your set up is a tool and if you are going to pursue mature animals in their environment you need to find the tool that allows you to do that the most effectively. Its not about what's the lightest or quickest its about what's the safest and quietest.
So poke around. there are plenty of threads on here touting the benefits of each set up and go to saddlehunter.com to find out about all things saddle related.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:14 am

I have climbed trees within 75 yards of bedded deer with all of my stands. Slow down. You should be watching and listening for an approaching deer as you are setting up. I have shot deer that walked right to me a couple times while in the middle of getting up the tree. That is with summit and lw hang on.

But to answer your question, I find it easier to make noise with the climber.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:35 am

I'm silent with a Summit climber. Just lift the stand so teeth and the cable aren't in contact with the tree and then let the teeth contact the bark, followed by the cable. Dead quiet.

In my experience when I pull down or step onto a stick, or cam over a hang on, I make alot more bark noise.

They both have their place in my opinion, but I switched to a saddle to try to get the best of both worlds in a much lighter and way more compact setup.
Not all those who wander are lost...
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:14 am

Unless you are trying to climb a shagbark hickory, both are quiet IMO. I would expect a deer (buck) would be attracted (as mistakenly thinking a tree is being rubbed) by any noise made by my LW climber, instead of being skeerd by it. Practice in the yard for weeks or in the woods for years and your system will become fluid and quiet, as possible.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:16 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:
A5BLASTER wrote:I find I make much less noise with my summit climber then any of the stick and hangon setups I have used and still own.

Exactly.

The only thing I would add is putting stealth strips where there is metal to metal contact.

Bob

Bob

You want to see a dead queit climbing stand go to stealth outdoors Facebook page, he has several pics of my goliath. My Titan is set up the exact same way.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:17 am

It all comes down to how well you can hang them being quiet. I know lots of guys who scrape the climber teeth up the tree as they go when if they just adjusted their feet they wouldn’t. I make noise sometimes with my hang on and sticks knowing full well if I just settled down and took my time I could probably reduce thayx
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:49 am

I can climb a tree with a hand climber very quiet. Its a matter of using it correctly with the step back way of climbing and not dragging it on the bark. Its very difficult to climb with it if you keep your feet in one position. I used to demonstrate the L/W hand climber at deer shows and sometimes I would get people who would want there money back cause it was difficult to climb with or noisy, then I would say sure, but 1st can I show you how to climb easy without noise? And everyone whom I showed always kept the stand... Here is a video I made about the hand climber: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8h3l_cwWiE

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”