Late season marsh/swamp bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wolfie417
Facebook: brett wolf

Late season marsh/swamp bedding

Unread postby Wolfie417 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:13 am

Wolfie from Minnesota here again. Sorry if this post has been covered before, I am new around here and have a little trouble navigating the forum. (Mostly out of inexperience) My question is do you beast hunters see a lot of late season (post thanksgiving) movement, bedding, and other stuff like that in the marshes and swamps you hunt. I have one public property I hunt here in central minnesota. It's about 80 acres and most of it is prime cattail marsh bedding. Last season when I went there post Thanksgiving and could only find one set of deer tracks. It was so dried up. Is anyone else experiencing similar? Do you think it's related to hunter pressure, or seasonal patterns?

UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Re: Late season marsh/swamp bedding

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:14 pm

From what ive read on the forum for the past 4 yrs, freezing of marshes keeps deer from bedding out in water. If your dry like you say you are its quite possible that those bedding areas are less favorable for bedding, cause preditors like coyotes can sneak around in there if its dry. Deer will bed else where if better bedding is available! Pressure is a huge factor too!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
ChasingFLATS86

Unread postby ChasingFLATS86 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:54 pm

I bumped one of the biggest bucks I've ever seen on Dec 29th while getting to my tree. It was swamp bedding about an acre in size frozen solid. When things first started to freeze and there was shell ice it seemed to keep the deer out but once it froze solid they moved back in.
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth. That means we should listen twice as much as we talk.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:14 pm

Late season in the swamps can be tricky, they freeze up and sometimes the deer leave. I've had luck focusing on buck bedding near the bigger swamps but not way back in the wet stuff as much. Points, islands and thicker cover near the high ground seems to be favored, the pressure drops to almost nothing late season so they don't seem as far back, but they still like those larger swamps as escape routes nearby. I have a few spots I focus on late season and that seems to be the trend but it might depend on your area. Most people will have better luck looking for food late season but I usually still stck to bedding areas.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:08 am

They don’t seem to like the partially frozen marshes. Once they’re solid they’re a likely place to find them around here. I know of many properties that are like ghost towns once the snow flies and temps drop. I don’t see a rhyme or reason to which ones they favor and which ones they abandon.

Once you find them there will likely be a lot of them.
Wolfie417
Facebook: brett wolf

Unread postby Wolfie417 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:23 pm

Thanks for the info homies. Exactly what I was looking for. 8-) :dance:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”