Rifle Hunting from a Lone Wolf Hangon

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ol_ben

Rifle Hunting from a Lone Wolf Hangon

Unread postby ol_ben » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:54 am

I am considering buying a MN rifle tag this year. I would be hunting in moderately hilly country with some swamps and cattail marshes in West Central MN 1-2hrs from the ND border. I'm debating hunting from the ground vs hunting from my Lone Wolf Alpha. I'll be using a .30-06 zeroed at 200yds and not shooting further than 200 even if presented with such a shot (unlikely in the area I'll be in). I'm wondering a few things:

1. Is it worth it getting up high having the rifle handy? Is the ground a viable option assuming I'm somewhere with enough visibility to stay a bit further from the deer?

2. If shooting from the hang-on, any tips for achieving something more stable than an off hand shot? For some angles I could probably brace against the tree, but for anything straight out from the stand that's not going to work well. Seated with elbow on knee is a possibility. I have shooting sticks, so I could possibly rig something on my stand to rest the feet on.

NYBackcountry
500 Club

Re: Rifle Hunting from a Lone Wolf Hangon

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:59 am

I prefer to be in a stand during rifle season. Gets a little crazy in certain parts of my state when the orange army comes out. Being off the ground is a safety thing for me and for others, my shot angle usually goes into the ground. Added visibility doesnt hurt either.

I'd try your shooting sticks, maybe just bring something with you to cover the holes in the base of the stand and you can just use it as if you're on the ground.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:04 am

In that terrain I would just setup with lw in thicker cover. Shooting offhand at 50-75 yards is very easy.

You can also use a shooting stick. I ziptied a small pice of garden hose to the platform between my feet to hold the bottom of the stick.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:38 am

PK_ wrote:In that terrain I would just setup with lw in thicker cover. Shooting offhand at 50-75 yards is very easy.

You can also use a shooting stick. I ziptied a small pice of garden hose to the platform between my feet to hold the bottom of the stick.

ziptying a garden hose to platform for shooting stick.....genius :clap: . I love the ingenuity of some of you guys! I will be doing that for rifle this year. I know they make some portable shooting rails for hang ons, but I don't want to carry anything else with me thats not needed.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:41 am

PK_ wrote:In that terrain I would just setup with lw in thicker cover. Shooting offhand at 50-75 yards is very easy.

You could actually get away with doing that at a few different locations on the platform and easily be steady from many angles.

I always face away from where I expect most deer to come from. Makes it nice to have the tree to brace against or a tie on hook of some sort.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:50 am

I prefer my Summit climber for gun hunting but no doubt the lone wolf will work fine. I also like to use the tree to steady against.
street28ss

Unread postby street28ss » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:33 am

I think your stick idea should work decently well. I've gun hunted for years and I don't find either stand or still hunting better than the other. I think it depends more on the terrain you're in. If you're close to ND you probably have quite a bit of open country so I would try to stay mobile as much as possible. Otherwise I would hunt the same as I would with a bow and try to find the hot sign and set up.
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:40 pm

ol_ben wrote:I am considering buying a MN rifle tag this year. I would be hunting in moderately hilly country with some swamps and cattail marshes in West Central MN 1-2hrs from the ND border. I'm debating hunting from the ground vs hunting from my Lone Wolf Alpha. I'll be using a .30-06 zeroed at 200yds and not shooting further than 200 even if presented with such a shot (unlikely in the area I'll be in). I'm wondering a few things:

1. Is it worth it getting up high having the rifle handy? Is the ground a viable option assuming I'm somewhere with enough visibility to stay a bit further from the deer?

2. If shooting from the hang-on, any tips for achieving something more stable than an off hand shot? For some angles I could probably brace against the tree, but for anything straight out from the stand that's not going to work well. Seated with elbow on knee is a possibility. I have shooting sticks, so I could possibly rig something on my stand to rest the feet on.

I rest the stick on my foot
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:27 pm

I use an old Stoney Point "telescoping monopod" walking stick that doubles as a shooting stick.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:33 pm

I use a Primos Trigger Stick. Practice with it a bit and you'll love it.

Set up where you can see the deer's travel route.

I've shot most of my rifle deer between 20 and 75 yards, a few out to 200 though. Never know.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:52 pm

I have a Primos Trigger Stick that works awesome for shooting out of my Lone Wolf. In my opinion, it is better to be in a tree during firearms season, because you can see so much further, plus you can pretty much shoot everything that you can see.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:40 am

I have molle straps on my Alpha II, and the top section of fabric that connects the two shoulder straps sits right under the built in bow holder hole in the platform. I plan to use a primos trigger stick and rest it on the back of the molle straps. never tried it, but seems like it should be steady.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:01 am

Just bought a trigger stick (longer version) and the treestand base. Both on sale on amazon with prime.

Thanks guys. Now I have zero reason to keep my climber 8-) time to sell that baby for more spending money
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:15 am

This will work great on the stand
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Bogle

Unread postby Bogle » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:51 am

Warren Womack used to have a picture of a pretty cool set up that he made. Im not 100% sure of the details or material he used as I only remember seeing the pic. However, I remember he took what looked like a piece of PVC pipe and cut it down the middle. He then took one of the halves and some how affixed a shaft to it coming out of the rounded side of the PVC pipe. He then took the top of a shooting stick (V Part) of something similar and attached it to the top of the shaft for his rifle to lay in. The idea behind it was he could sit in his lock on, set the shooting rest on top of his thigh and be at eye level with his rifle.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”