Game over?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Beararchery87

Game over?

Unread postby Beararchery87 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:00 am

Hey All,

This is my first post. Just a little background, this is my first year trying to do it “beast style”, playing the wind,hunting less, but smarter and being mobile, etc.

Background info:
I had been seeing good bucks on early season trailcams so I have been tiptoeing around a small property I have permission to hunt. The soybean field at the heart of the farm has been getting scraped up pretty hard, so I put some trail cams over different scrapes on 2 sides of the field. After checking the cams on Saturday at noon in the rain (to cut down on scent). I saw that a good buck was coming to the field regularly between 2-3 am and around dark (6:58pm legal end time)as well, so I decided to set up just inside the bean field in the woods near the scrapes.

The hunt:
Saturday night I get into the stand 3:30pm, ( keep in mind this is a run and gun type hunt, and I don’t have time to trim lanes as where I think they will come from is very open) I’m in the stand 20 minutes and a button buck comes by at 20 yards, and I let him walk, then at 5:30pm I look to the bean field and one of the big boys I have been seeing is working the scrape! (Heart pounding),lol. So he is working the field edge as there are 4 scrapes in a row, he is at 25 yards, due to a poor shot I don’t take it. He starts working along the field again,he’s walking.. finally to an opening! Range it, 26 yards, (okay great, keep calm...) I draw back, his front shoulder gets in the opening and I go to stop him with a mouth bleat... he drops at the sound and bounds off through the beans and out of my life... ugh!

Now for the question... He had no idea I was there, and I had the wind to my advantage, IS he gone forever did I blow it, thoughts on if he will come back and work those scrapes again? I honestly thought I did everything right, I didn’t take unethical shot opportunities I had,I waited and then, boom he’s gone. Never had a deer react to a mouth bleat like that before...A little discouraged

Razorhead

Re: Game over?

Unread postby Razorhead » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:50 am

Maybe someone bleated at him earlier in the day and grazed one right across his back. Anytime you elect to make a sound that is not natural to stop a buck you take that risk. I know, it always works on the videos ... at least the ones that are shared.
He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my sole.
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:06 am

If you make a noise to stop them you run a certain risk, if you shoot them at a walk you run a certain risk.

Life goes on, hopefully you get a kill shot on the next one.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:30 am

Every buck seems to be different. Noone can say for certain if he's gone or not.

If you have a good pattern on him...I'd move a bit and give it another shot. If the beans are hot and he's working a scrape line..you have a good opportunity that can be gone soon...here once the beans start to turn, they are largley done with them till winter...

I've never had a deer bolt when I make a noise to stop them...and I used to stop every one I shot. That makes me wonder if he wasn't already on edge...caught you moving..or hit your access..or maybe the wind did blow his way or something...hard to say...I wasn't there. I have had them high tail it at a grunt when they were unaware of my presence and I was trying to coax then my direction. Every animal is different....
westbound

Unread postby westbound » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:57 am

If you are fairly confident that he had no idea you were there and spooked solely based on the noise you made, I don't think you have too much to worry about. He didn't smell or see you, he simply heard a noise he didn't like. How does he know it was a predator that made that noise? You may not kill him over the same scrape, but I highly doubt that he's spooked so bad that he's going to abandon the area. It usually takes a lot to cause a mature buck to relocate. I'd be back in there expecting to see this buck as soon as the conditions allow for it.
Beararchery87

Unread postby Beararchery87 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:48 am

Thanks guys, sometimes you think these things to make you more confident in your spot or that you might get another chance and just need some reassurance from others.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:55 am

You never know with bucks. He will most likely come back. But will it be during shooting hours? Only one way to find out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”