River bank doe bedding in hill country during rut

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kcbuckeye22

River bank doe bedding in hill country during rut

Unread postby Kcbuckeye22 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:53 am

This question is concerning rut hunting hill country rivers. The rivers typically start about 80-120 yards from the bottom of the ridge. I consistently have does bedded on the river banks or in thick spots closer to the bottoms of ridges, non-wind specific. It seems thermals play havoc, sometimes they rise straight up, sometimes they rise to up the valley and ridges. I typically rut hunt the ridges with success, however I can’t disregard the amount of does that I've bumped off the thick river areas. The access is much easier by kayak as well. Trail cameras next to the river usually pick up good buck traffic, and quite a few “new” bucks.

In the past I have seen bucks have cruised 5-20 yards from the bank. However there is also a solid trail parallel to the river at the bottom of the ridge. As I posted on another thread I have witnessed bucks scent checking valleys between two ridges as well. How would someone hunt the rivers/streams/creeks during the rut? And how would a crusing buck travel these areas?

Grasshopper

Re: River bank doe bedding in hill country during rut

Unread postby Grasshopper » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:02 am

Vague answer would be get a bunch of milkweed and use it to find a spot you can access from the water that the wind and thermals cooperate for you. If you find that you can hunt it over and over.
Kcbuckeye22

Unread postby Kcbuckeye22 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:21 am

Grasshopper wrote:Vague answer would be get a bunch of milkweed and use it to find a spot you can access from the water that the wind and thermals cooperate for you. If you find that you can hunt it over and over.

Yeah thats part of the plan. Just reaching out to see if anyone has a game plan or experienced something simular and figured something out. I like to hunt bottoms early mornings and move up as the thermals rise. It really think just getting close to the river will cut it...however that trail parallel to the river at the bottom of the ridges really looks good too.
Kcbuckeye22

Unread postby Kcbuckeye22 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:21 am

Grasshopper wrote:Vague answer would be get a bunch of milkweed and use it to find a spot you can access from the water that the wind and thermals cooperate for you. If you find that you can hunt it over and over.

Yeah thats part of the plan. Just reaching out to see if anyone has a game plan or experienced something simular and figured something out. I like to hunt bottoms early mornings and move up as the thermals rise. It really think just getting close to the river will cut it...however that trail parallel to the river at the bottom of the ridges really looks good too.
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:37 am

I hunt next to creeks in bottoms during the rut. I usually try to get in a tree within 5 yds of the water. The moving water has a positive effect on your thermals. I try to have a bend or feeder creek in the direction the wind will be heading once it kicks in. The wind often follows the valley. It's something you have to play with, because no two spots are alike.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”