River crossing

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

street28ss

River crossing

Unread postby street28ss » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:38 am

Anyone ever notice deer routinely crossing fairly deep rivers that aren't extremely wide? Depth where they would have to swim. This one property I hunt has this kind of river. The flow rate is low. They could easily do it but I'm not sure how much they do. I haven't noticed any heavy trails in the bordering grass but I haven't walked the entire edge of it.

Or do you guys think they will typically travel further distances to avoid doing this?

Kcbuckeye22

Re: River crossing

Unread postby Kcbuckeye22 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:04 am

I witnessed 2 decent bucks cross a 50 yard wide gap with about 3-4ft of water flowing steady this past weekend. They both crossed it to get to a valley between two steep ridges in the evening before dark. I am assuming they both wanted to wind check that valley, before moving into the valley. I was expecting them to come off the ridges, not from the river.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Re: River crossing

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:29 am

Great question and honestly it probably depends on the temperament of each deer. I've definitely seen deer travel at least a few hundred yards just to cross a river in a shallower section but have also seen deer trudge through the deeper stuff.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”