Small Marshes

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kel Varnsen

Small Marshes

Unread postby Kel Varnsen » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:26 am

Hi everyone, I am new here and to the beast style. I am curious if anyone has any thoughts on the significance, if any, of relatively small marshes—say 1-10 acres. Do they still make for good bedding or are they too small to make the bucks feel safe?

I ask because mostly where I am the areas are smaller and islands, meaningful points, bowls, etc. are relatively rare. There are lots of low areas along creeks and sloughs that form small marshes with lots of cover.

stash59

Re: Small Marshes

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:58 am

If these small marshes provide the security the bucks need for bedding. They'll be used. Just need to dive in and look for beds to find out.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Kel Varnsen

Unread postby Kel Varnsen » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:05 am

Thanks! I definitely plan to check some of them out. On a more macro level, I am also wondering about scouting via aerials and topics and just narrowing places down to look. I guess nothing replaces footsteps!
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:13 am

Definitely worth checking out. Find the dry areas/higher ground within them.

I hunted an area with some "pot holes" in Michigan. Small "ponds" but mostly cattails and wetland vegetation..not much actual water like a pond..they held buck bedding. Low deer density and big woods made it tough for me to figure out what was going on. I jumped one buck from one...he was bedded on a tiny island. It was separated from the land by a 10ft or so piece of wetland...there was a piece of real high ground and a couple trees and brush on it. I glassed it for a while knowing if I was a buck I'd probably hide out there. After a while I decided to put the sneak on it. I was within 30yds or so and heard my buddy shoot. Forgot about the task at hand and made a couple dumb moves and a buck bounded off of there. Don't know if the outcome would been any different... but I feel like if I kept my sneak I may have gotten a shot.
Prairie Sasquatch
500 Club

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:10 am

I hunt in ND and many of the deer will bed in 1/4 acre sloughs in the middle of crop fields. Sometimes they are bedded in rock piles the size of a pickup.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:47 am

I hunt a smaller swamp and there is usually a good amount of deer there. It touches a large piece of public hardwoods but no one ever goes into the swamp. During gun season we always do a drive and usually jump 10+ deer out of it.
Kel Varnsen

Unread postby Kel Varnsen » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:20 am

About how many acres is it?
JohnathonP
Facebook: Johnathon Patzwald

Unread postby JohnathonP » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:27 am

Great question Kel! I'm new here as well and will be hunting a state park tomorrow that sounds very similar to what you described. So I was glad to get some tips and suggestions from everyone!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”