Beast stick users- how are you packing them?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Beast stick users- how are you packing them?

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:02 pm

I’ve seen dan and the thp guys packing the sticks sideways on their stand. I think I’ll probably do the same with a stand, but how are all the saddle guys going to handle it? I’m thinking of strapping them onto my backpack somehow. I currently stick my lone wolfs inside my pack sticking out the top but I don’t think the beast wide double step will work that well doing it that way.

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Voz

Re: Beast stick users- how are you packing them?

Unread postby Voz » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:30 am

Has anyone tried to place them vertically on the stand vs sideways? Real curious to see how everybody is approaching their packing method. I’m not sure if I’m sold on having them placed sideways.

Thanks
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:59 am

I have mine vertical. I don’t need more opportunities to snag brush. I have an alpha stand.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:01 am

I was asked to post pics of my vertical placement of the beast sticks on my LW. Idk how to post pics....mainly cuz I’ve never tried and never really cared to learn :? But I just moved them around until they rested somewhat stable and bungeed them down tight. They don’t move at all, no kinking. If your bungees aren’t tight enough, try tying a knot in the bungee to shorten it up.
islandshooter

Unread postby islandshooter » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:16 am

I would imagine cbigbear is working on Stick Talons for the Beast sticks at this moment, unless he's in a tree somewhere!!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:41 am

islandshooter wrote:I would imagine cbigbear is working on Stick Talons for the Beast sticks at this moment, unless he's in a tree somewhere!!

The original stick talons work just fine with the new Beast sticks. Used mine yesterday.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:11 am

On my stand they are sideways for now. Not sure if I will change it. They hang out about 1” on each side, but I haven’t had any issues with brush. I’m also a wide load so that helps in that’s regard. But they fit to my assault very well on their sides.

I have talons, and will see if I can get them to work how I want them to. The fifth stick will throw me for a loop though.

For my saddle, I would stack them together, and stand them vertical in a backpack. Then use a nite ize gear tie to lash the top portion of the sticks down. DIYsportsman has a video showing this in his saddle vs treestand video.

Matt if you want a picture posted you can text it to me. I might be a little more tech savvy than you :lol:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:24 am

I’m bungeeing them horizontal rested on the batwing. I think they’ll be better for brush than the lone wolf sticks. Always had a problem with the top catching. These are narrower and mounted horizontal they don’t stick out past my elbows. I stealth stripped the buckles and the contact points where they stack. No noise at all. Great product Dan. These will be a homerun
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:33 am

Jonny wrote:On my stand they are sideways for now. Not sure if I will change it. They hang out about 1” on each side, but I haven’t had any issues with brush. I’m also a wide load so that helps in that’s regard. But they fit to my assault very well on their sides.

I have talons, and will see if I can get them to work how I want them to. The fifth stick will throw me for a loop though.

For my saddle, I would stack them together, and stand them vertical in a backpack. Then use a nite ize gear tie to lash the top portion of the sticks down. DIYsportsman has a video showing this in his saddle vs treestand video.

Matt if you want a picture posted you can text it to me. I might be a little more tech savvy than you :lol:

Ha...yeah Jonny...you’re a millennial so of course you’re better with tech than me.
Also..these sticks won’t catch on top either like the LWs did. They are completely behind the stand. I think that I’m really gonna like how they pack. My 15+ year old bungees might need to be replaced.
Since I can’t hunt tonight...again. (Sons birthday dinner) I’ll have to peel my eyeballs off the tv/red zone for a few minutes and text Jonny a few pics.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:55 am

4 sticks vertical on an alpha

5 sticks horizontal on an old assault. The assault is the exact same width as an alpha for reference. Have about a half inch of wiggle room on both sides of the stand before it hits the bracket/step. I never caught on brush walking in the woods, nor did this setup make a peep. And I didn’t stealth strip anything and put my older straps on from my xop sticks. Just gotta be careful you don’t swing your arms. Those sticks are sharp.

Yes I purposely made sure my crocs were in the picture.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:03 am

Sideways is easiest I think.

Had them up and down at start they poked me in the back often. Once I put them sideways it was much better.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:11 pm

Jonny wrote:4 sticks vertical on an alpha

5 sticks horizontal on an old assault. The assault is the exact same width as an alpha for reference. Have about a half inch of wiggle room on both sides of the stand before it hits the bracket/step. I never caught on brush walking in the woods, nor did this setup make a peep. And I didn’t stealth strip anything and put my older straps on from my xop sticks. Just gotta be careful you don’t swing your arms. Those sticks are sharp.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/0jkkTmhh/2933758-C-F745-45-A7-97-D4-FEBABDB2-FF4-E.jpg[/]

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/SKLpmRL4/757-EEAA0-AA12-459-F-B659-D51304286434.jpg[/

Yes I purposely made sure my crocs were in the picture.

Johnny,

When you lay them vertically and on their sides on the stand do the steps poke you in your back through the stand?
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:15 pm

JakeB wrote:
Johnny,

When you lay them vertically and on their sides on the stand do the steps poke you in your back through the stand?

Sideways I haven’t gotten poked yet. A couple times I have gotten my backpack strap wrapped in it but it comes out pretty easily. You would need to swing your arms quite a bit to hit them.

Vertically, I haven’t tried it. Got the pictures from matt1336. Looks like he has the stacked so you wouldn’t get hit. Might have to watch how you lay them down to avoid getting hit. My guess is having one end of the stack on the seat, and the other hitting the post, you shouldn’t have any problem.
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:46 pm

Jonny wrote:
JakeB wrote:
Johnny,

Sideways I haven’t gotten poked yet. A couple times I have gotten my backpack strap wrapped in it but it comes out pretty easily. You would need to swing your arms quite a bit to hit them.

Vertically, I haven’t tried it. Got the pictures from matt1336. Looks like he has the stacked so you wouldn’t get hit. Might have to watch how you lay them down to avoid getting hit. My guess is having one end of the stack on the seat, and the other hitting the post, you shouldn’t have any problem.

Good deal, thanks!

Fingers are crossed mine come in today!
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:19 am

Being a taller guy, I look forward to not having them hanging out over the top. Being tall and a couple of knee surgeries later, i have a heck of a time bending down to get under brush :lol:

I have a newer Alpha 2 years old. The spot where I was able to put my stick talons for my lone wolf sticks, doesn’t work for the beast sticks. They are too spread out for the shorter beast sticks. There is probably a way to mod it, but I dont know.

I think those of you with the older Alpha it won’t be an issue moving the talons a little closer together. With my alpha, the pre drilled holes were my only option to put the talons and they are too far apart.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”