Lessons Learned

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jdaukontas

Lessons Learned

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:20 am

Went in to a swamp setup last night to hunt an active scrape and bumbed one just before my set. Here are the things I learned last night.

1 - the buck i bumped was right on the edge where the dogwood meets the woodland, and I had no idea it was there. More scouting of the area is needed and never underestimate how thick deer can get in to, this was THICK!

2 - the bed was within 40 yards from the primary scrape, which makes me believe he was keeping tabs on it, much like people on the forum have stated.

3 - most importantly, before I crossed a beaver damn to get down into the swamp I hit really fresh sign. Large rubs, big tracks, very fresh. Instead of setting up, I kept going to my intended tree and bumped the buck 70ish yards later. I should have trusted the sign and set up immediately instead of keep pushing. I hope this is one I take with me!

PMVBowhunter

Re: Lessons Learned

Unread postby PMVBowhunter » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:17 am

Thanks for sharing. The more I read, hopefully the more sinks in.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Re: Lessons Learned

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:45 am

#3 is one I struggled with for years and still occasionally do. Have to convince myself to hunt it in stages. 90% of the time that hot sign is better than what I find at “my stand”.

Thanks for sharing.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”