The stage is set...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jdaukontas

The stage is set...

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:19 am

Last spring I found what I believe to be big buck bedding on the transition between hardwoods, dogwood, and marsh grass in our family farm swamp of about 150 acres. Huge beds, big scrapes, thick tangle. Just outside the bedding area was a very large, well used scrape filled with tracks of all sizes (still active in spring). Yesterday we have had a huge cold front roll through, torrential rain all evening, tapering off last night, and more rain all morning, which has finally ended. Temps were 75 yesterday, and are now in the mid 40s. Been waiting on this northwest wind and hoping with all other factors, that I can shoot a good one tonight reworking the scrape. Never scrape hunted before, but this one seems to fit the forum profile so I am giving it a go. Above the scrape there is a red oak flat, which transitions to an old apple orchard.

Here is to hoping!!!!

xpauliber
500 Club

Re: The stage is set...

Unread postby xpauliber » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:22 am

Sounds like a great setup. Good luck!
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:47 am

Sounds like a plan in the work!! Good luck
Jdaukontas

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:42 am

Jumped one at the base of the tree I was going to sit. Climbed up, hopefully works back. Not sure if it knew what i was, wind was opposite direction
Jdaukontas

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:18 pm

Had a buck come in at last light, too thick to shoot and wasn't very big anyways. I think the one I bumped was the one I was hoping for.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”