Maple leaf drop

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buckbreath

Maple leaf drop

Unread postby Buckbreath » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:50 pm

With the huge rains and the extreme winds forecasted in northern Wisconsin, is going to hunt the maple leaf drop?

NorthStar
500 Club

Re: Maple leaf drop

Unread postby NorthStar » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:57 pm

How did you decide which maple trees to focus on?

I am going to try and answer my own question here and see how close I can get....

Close to bedding, heavy cover, and where there is fresh sign.

I am assuming we are taking about sugar maples or are other maples good?
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:09 pm

What the what? Do deer eat the leaves as they fall up there?
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:12 pm

elk yinzer wrote:What the what? Do deer eat the leaves as they fall up there?

They sure do in Tennessee.... Sugar Maple leafs. They will turn yellow color with smooth edges When they hit the ground deer love them!! I made an error initially and said red... red are silver maples (thats what my property is loaded with unfortunately)
Last edited by backstraps on Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:18 pm

Interesting.... The things you learn about different areas. I don't think deer here would give two even if we had sugar maples. We have acorns out the wazoo. I have to drive 90 minutes to find a sugar maple hardwoods stand. We have acorns that last until May most every year. I always find it curious when guys talk about acorns being vacuumed up. I never in a million years woulda tought deer eat dropped leaves.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:20 pm

elk yinzer wrote:What the what? Do deer eat the leaves as they fall up there?

Hahaha! What are we all talking about here??

I have heard deer love the yellow leaves on sugar maples.
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:31 pm

Dan talks about it somewhere. I was looking for the thread, but couldn’t find it yet. When the leaves turn, and only for a few days if I remember it correctly, he said they go “Gaga” over them. :mrgreen:
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:42 pm

mag1 wrote:Dan talks about it somewhere. I was looking for the thread, but couldn’t find it yet. When the leaves turn, and only for a few days if I remember it correctly, he said they go “Gaga” over them. :mrgreen:

Singing Bridge mentioned it as well. That’s where I remember hearing it
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
peteinvermont

Unread postby peteinvermont » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:35 am

We're loaded with sugar maples here, but I've never actually seen deer eating the fallen leaves - even though I have heard other people say it. I just don't have first hand experience with it. However, in the clearcuts, they love to eat the leaves off the saplings that are 2-5ft high.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:39 am

Just learned this a few days ago on a different thread. I have a location with bedding, sugar maples, and a fresh scrape. Needless to say I will be watching this spot very closely...
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:56 am

I have never heard or seen deer eating fallen leaves. I do know of some sugar maple stands though I may check out in the future. Our maple leaves are long gone here for this year.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:05 am

peteinvermont wrote:We're loaded with sugar maples here, but I've never actually seen deer eating the fallen leaves - even though I have heard other people say it. I just don't have first hand experience with it. However, in the clearcuts, they love to eat the leaves off the saplings that are 2-5ft high.

Same issue here, kind of like oaks you have to find that perfect spot where they might hit them and I've never been able to pinpoint those areas where they are pounding maples. It might just be they can pick them up anywhere so its not a huge deal to them. Was even scouting some remote islands loaded with maples and there was not much deer sign and no fresh buck sign.

Something else strange I am seeing is the fall colors and leaf drop seem a little behind the usual, still lots of green on many of trees despite a lot of them losing them like normal. Tons of rain this fall so I kind of wonder if that has slowed things down, it has been plenty cold out and we even have a little snow on the ground so its strange to see so much green still.
Last edited by headgear on Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:06 am

As with anything - if it is everywhere deer may not appear to hit it as hard. Down this way, maples are not the most common species, so when the sugar maples drop it is a great draw for them. Honey Locust pods can be as well. But in other areas, there are so many locust it is hard to take advantage of and the sign under any one tree will not be as great. Same thing with apples and persimmons- find a lone apple or P tree dropping and it can be a dynamite set up - especially if it is back in or near their preferred bedding.

And if there are beans and corn everywhere - well think about it.......
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:49 am

Here in maine, the maple leaf drop coincides with some of the slowest hunting of the whole season, 3rd week oct . Deer just dont have to move all that much.

On top of that, leaves cover all the track sign.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:56 am

mainebowhunter wrote:Here in maine, the maple leaf drop coincides with some of the slowest hunting of the whole season, 3rd week oct . Deer just dont have to move all that much.

On top of that, leaves cover all the track sign.

exactly what happens here in some spots when we have a great acorn crop - bucks eat, sleep, drink in an area about the size of most people's yard..... until the sweet rut scent fills their nostrils and jacks up their libido...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”