Cam locking a stand question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowtarist

Cam locking a stand question

Unread postby bowtarist » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:00 pm

I recently bought the xop air raid to be more mobile. I'm gonna say I'm new to loc on's as I've hunted from climber's 99% of my hunting career. When I hang this stand on the tree, I fold the platform up and cinch the strap down as hard as I can. I then get into the stand and put my knee on the seat and fold the platform up and then back down. The stand slides down a little like it is supposed to and locks in. The reason I'm questioning it is, after doing all this, the seat post and tree bracket is about 2 inches away from the tree and it feels "spongy". It will lean from side to side a little also. Is this normal? I'm 270 lbs if that makes a difference.

Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Re: Cam locking a stand question

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:15 pm

Funny you posted this. I'm in the same boat, new xop hang on, always used climbers. I had the same thing happen the other day. I was thinking it was because I was in a pine tree with very soft bark and the bottom teeth were digging in so much that it wouldn't slide down enough for the top to bite. Curious to see what others with more experience have to say.
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:35 pm

Not quite sure what you're doing wrong but the bat wing should be digging into the tree a little. Have you tried a few diferent trees? May take a few tries before you get it. Not sure if it's the problem or not but you have to pull the bottom almost all the way to the seat to actually get it to drop.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:49 pm

I have seen what you are talking about. I have noticed when you place the stand on the tree, platform and seat folded all the way up (just like you would pack it on your back) sometimes you can pull the strap tight, then move the bottom of the stand a little side to side and then the strap will tighten a little more.

When you pull the platform down, it will bite into the tree some. Then fold the seat down, get onto the stand like mentioned, put all your weight on the one knee on the seat, use your other foot and raise up the platform as far as you can. When you push the platform back down you should be rock tight.

Also, with your weight, you should really be setting that stand rock tight! I weigh 210 and mine cam locks so tight, when I am taking the set down, I can remove the strap and the stand sometimes stays attached to the tree

Practice at ground level until you get the hang of what it takes to cam lock it
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:29 pm

backstraps wrote:I have seen what you are talking about. I have noticed when you place the stand on the tree, platform and seat folded all the way up (just like you would pack it on your back) sometimes you can pull the strap tight, then move the bottom of the stand a little side to side and then the strap will tighten a little more.

When you pull the platform down, it will bite into the tree some. Then fold the seat down, get onto the stand like mentioned, put all your weight on the one knee on the seat, use your other foot and raise up the platform as far as you can. When you push the platform back down you should be rock tight.

Also, with your weight, you should really be setting that stand rock tight! I weigh 210 and mine cam locks so tight, when I am taking the set down, I can remove the strap and the stand sometimes stays attached to the tree

Practice at ground level until you get the hang of what it takes to cam lock it

I weigh 300. Can play the guitar on my strap I get it that tight.

Only thing else I can think of is making sure strap is perfectly level and perpendicular to the post. If it’s not you will have problems with the strap hitting the batwing and not getting tight.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:37 pm

That happens when the strap isn’t tight enough. Once in a while it happens to me, so I know what you mean. I would strap it in as tight as you can, then pull up the platform by hand and fold it up towards the tree, then tighten the strap again. Once you are tight, then cam it down how you described.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:23 pm

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:That happens when the strap isn’t tight enough. Once in a while it happens to me, so I know what you mean. I would strap it in as tight as you can, then pull up the platform by hand and fold it up towards the tree, then tighten the strap again. Once you are tight, then cam it down how you described.

Exactly
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:33 pm

some of my straps slip and do the same thing
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:42 pm

Make sure the strap is perpendicular to the stand when you tighten it down.....not on an angle.
pewpewpew

Unread postby pewpewpew » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:26 pm

I found the XOP vanish to have very dull teeth on the V. The V itself is also to small. The ASsault is just easier for me to camlock.
ChasingFLATS86

Unread postby ChasingFLATS86 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:23 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Y12DRIy9M

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e22bV2q3YOE

The part specifically about cam locking your stand is in the second video between the 2 and 4 minute Mark's.
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth. That means we should listen twice as much as we talk.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”