Behavior of Thermals

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jhamilton1123
Facebook: Joshua Hamilton

Behavior of Thermals

Unread postby jhamilton1123 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:43 am

So thermals rise as the sun heats up the valley floor. They fall in the evening when the air cools after the sun drops. I understand the basic concepts. However, I want to get some more in depth information.

How do thermals act around points and draws:

- Do they come straight up the point only from below the end of the point? Or do they rise from the draws on each side of the point, collide on the center line with the thermals coming straight up the point, blending and rising up the point? Or do they slide along the side of the point to the end of the draw and rise up the head of the draw to the ridge?

- What do the thermals do in the draws that are on either side of the point? Do they just rise to the head of the draw and up the head ridge ? Or do some rise up the head of the draw while others rise up the sides of the points?

- What do they do after the draw or point, when they get to the top of the ridge, if there is no or very little wind? Do they just float up and away?

- What about on rainy and/or cloudy, gloomy days? Do they rise like normal if the sun doesn't come out and heat the valley floor? Are they falling all day? Is there a thermal current on a rainy day? What about a cloudy day? What about if its one of those kinda "brighter" overcast days?

- Has anybody noticed the shady side of a ridge presenting a falling thermal earlier in the day?

I went on a hunt a week or so ago. I traveled in along the main access road where deer would expect to hear, see, or smell me. This path is along the top of a ridge. My destination was a big ridge on the other side of a deep valley. These ridges run almost parallel on a SW to NE line. The wind was said to be SSW to SSE, but I'd say it was really light or not even blowing. The first interesting thing to note was that as I dropped milkweed during entry about 3.5 hours before dark, heading NE on top of this ridge, my milkweed mostly pulled to the right to the steep valley. I found this odd as I would think thermals should've been rising up that slope and the wind was from across that valley. Fast forward, I got straight across from the draw I would climb on the destination ridge, then dropped down into the valley, across and up my target draw. As I climbed the draw it was around 4:45. I dropped milkweed as I went up, and after I got to the top, but it was falling back behind me. I would've thought that the thermals would be rising, but I had wondered if the shaded draw would affect the currents. It would appear that they did. I dropped milkweed as I sat on stand, when I couldn't feel any wind whatsoever, and it still dropped all the way up until I got down. Anybody else had any experience with shaded draws seeming to have some sort of affect?

headgear
500 Club

Re: Behavior of Thermals

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:58 am

Your best bet is to burn through a lot of milkweed in your spots to see what the thermals are doing, we can all take a guess as to how they might flow but there is nothing better than doing it in those locations you hunt near bedding. Every location can be different so while in general they might do similar things there can be unique characteristics that come into play in every spot.
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:55 am

YouTube hunting thermals.
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:28 am

Get on google earth and use time of day tool. You can see what spots are shaded and sunny at what times of the day.
trapperjay

Unread postby trapperjay » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:55 am

Ithat video and Gary’s animation are excellent. Is the spot where they meet at the military crest oftentimes?
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:20 am

headgear wrote:Your best bet is to burn through a lot of milkweed in your spots to see what the thermals are doing, we can all take a guess as to how they might flow but there is nothing better than doing it in those locations you hunt near bedding. Every location can be different so while in general they might do similar things there can be unique characteristics that come into play in every spot.

x2 and five yards further away they might do somethingtotally different.

The first thing to understanding thermals is to ackowledge it is not wind. It is actually a vacum pulling air in a direction. Just remember for every action there is an opposite reaction. If wind is vacating someplace then there is also air moving in to occupy that space. That is thermal effect. Kind of like a riptide in the ocean only air can also move vertically. Bottom line is that hot air rises and sucks in surrounding air and objects create "eddies"
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:41 am

Assuming your sitting in a sunny location in the morning, is it most likely that your scent will rise with the rising thermals?

How does it impact a thermal tunnel when the wind is at an angle to the ridge line? I doubt that wind blows exactly perpendicular to ridges the majority of the time??
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”