Adventure on the Horizon

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JoshAaron91685

Adventure on the Horizon

Unread postby JoshAaron91685 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:38 am

Hey Guys, Pretty new to the beast forum and tactics, only made a couple posts, this is my first thread. Love this place and feel like it's going to teach me more in a very short time than I've learned in my previous 20+ years of hunting.

My best friend/hunting buddy and I have decided to make the trek from Florida to Indiana for a public land bowhunt from Oct 25th thru Nov 3rd. Because it's 1000 miles away, we cant put boots on the ground prior to the hunt so it's cyber scouting only until we get there. We're prepared for mobile run & gun style hunting with treestands and slipping/ground setups. I know we're going to have to be aggressive just not sure how aggressive we should be. Should we go out and scout for buck beds or is that going to do more harm than good considering our window of opportunity? Maybe look for bedding areas with high potential but setup for observation instead? How would you guys attack a new piece of ground you've never been to given 9 -10 days? I'm as excited to get up there and put to use some of my newfound knowledge and learn how to use it as I am to possibly kill a big mature buck. I'm antsy already LOL Thanks guys.

Jackson Marsh

Re: Adventure on the Horizon

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:58 am

What kind of terrain?

Hill country is the easiest to cyber scout using topos and aerials.

I wouldn't be super concerned with finding specific buck beds. If this is in hills, I would look at the points that work for multiple winds. Often you can find points that work for buck bedding for almost any wind (the buck just moves around the point in various positions to find a favorable wind).

I would scout all morning and early afternoon until I found good sign that is likely close to good bedding. Setup and see what happens. I would most likely do this every day until you find some hot spots.

Through cyber scouting you should mark all the parking areas, and you can make educated guess on where hunting pressure will be.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:07 am

If you aren't watching The Hunting Public deer tour on youtube, do that, especially the recent public land challenge episodes with Dan. I think these do as good a job of anything i have ever seen on showing how to have success doing just what you are saying. Everyone involved scouts until they find deer. If conditions are right still hunting/scouting is a good option. I wouldn't start sitting until you're confirming buck sign from scouting.
JoshAaron91685

Unread postby JoshAaron91685 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:09 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:What kind of terrain?

Hill country is the easiest to cyber scout using topos and aerials.

I wouldn't be super concerned with finding specific buck beds. If this is in hills, I would look at the points that work for multiple winds. Often you can find points that work for buck bedding for almost any wind (the buck just moves around the point in various positions to find a favorable wind).

I would scout all morning and early afternoon until I found good sign that is likely close to good bedding. Setup and see what happens. I would most likely do this every day until you find some hot spots.

Through cyber scouting you should mark all the parking areas, and you can make educated guess on where hunting pressure will be.

Not hill country but there are some hills and a fair amount of marsh. I’ve got potential areas picked for both as far away from parking areas as I can get in this particular public ground. Thanks!
JoshAaron91685

Unread postby JoshAaron91685 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:14 am

Kraftd wrote:If you aren't watching The Hunting Public deer tour on youtube, do that, especially the recent public land challenge episodes with Dan. I think these do as good a job of anything i have ever seen on showing how to have success doing just what you are saying. Everyone involved scouts until they find deer. If conditions are right still hunting/scouting is a good option. I wouldn't start sitting until you're confirming buck sign from scouting.

Oh I’m 100% addicted to THP lol

Those guys just keep getting better and better and it’s crazy how you can watch them grow as hunters/killers.

I definitely liked the public land challenge and took notes but everyone does does it a little different.

My biggest concern is getting up there and realizing what I thought I was seeing on the aerials is not what I thought it was considering how different the terrain and woods are from Florida.
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:51 am

Kraftd wrote:If you aren't watching The Hunting Public deer tour on youtube, do that, especially the recent public land challenge episodes with Dan. I think these do as good a job of anything i have ever seen on showing how to have success doing just what you are saying. Everyone involved scouts until they find deer. If conditions are right still hunting/scouting is a good option. I wouldn't start sitting until you're confirming buck sign from scouting.

I agree.
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:55 am

JoshAaron91685 wrote:

Oh I’m 100% addicted to THP lol

Those guys just keep getting better and better and it’s crazy how you can watch them grow as hunters/killers.

I definitely liked the public land challenge and took notes but everyone does does it a little different.

My biggest concern is getting up there and realizing what I thought I was seeing on the aerials is not what I thought it was considering how different the terrain and woods are from Florida.

Habitat may be different, but sign is sign. This is my mantra this year, because I think the last few I've been a few days behind things and set-up on good, but aging sign. Get out, scout/still hunt, and the sign will fill in the rest, even if that ends up being that they aren't where you imagined. Walking transitions for hot sign is never a bad starting point, imo. Bonus is no cotton-mouths or gators to deal with in November in the midwest!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”