Abundance of bedding cover

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lukebroz30

Abundance of bedding cover

Unread postby Lukebroz30 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:50 am

The places around me are often very very thick which makes the properties hunt bigger than the acreage... however I am really struggling to find any buck sign at all... I haven’t seen a single scrape and I’ve been out there many times. And only a couple of small, low rubs. In places that there is a lot of heavy thick cover, how do you guys narrow down where you look for buck bedding areas? I have seen enough does and I’m patient enough to sit for hours and be happy with seeing one deer as long as it has antlers. I’m not the kind of guy that needs to see 100 deer to call it a successful hunt.

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Abundance of bedding cover

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:32 am

How large of a property is this?

I have a similar issue on a place I have permission. Its about 100 acres or so but I also dont find the large, obivous sign like other spots. My suggestion is assess the pressure from the past and the present that you or anyone else has put on the place. Bucks on this spot im talking about dont venture into the interior of the property as often as id like to see. Try checking the fringes or the property lines. If you have history w the spot then replay old experiences and try focus in on where or why a buck was there. Things can come together quickly that way
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:39 am

In my experience, if there is an overabundance of ideal cover for bedding bucks will use the same bed less often. They will use the same bedding areas. Also, if areas with little to no ag crops and no acorn production, feeding is almost 100% natural browse and thus they will bed in various areas depending on what that deer personally likes and has access to. There will be specific "hot spots" like maple leaf drop, Honey Locust, persimmons, etc. but once again these do not last as long as acorn/ag crops so finding those well worn beds, hair, etc., is much less common. While I was up in Wisconsin this spring with Dan the amount of hair and well worn beds blew me away - I rarely find such beds in N Texas areas I hunt. Now when I am on a farm with very limited cover, then yes the bedding is more easily identified. I am sure some guys in the true northwoods also find consistent bedding less then other terrains. Of course marshes are the easy as once a buck lies down on cattails it would be pretty hard to miss those. And then there are hogs...... but that is a different discussion for another day.
Last edited by DaveT1963 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:52 am

duplicate

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”