Boogering a Buck and the Consequences

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BA-IV

Boogering a Buck and the Consequences

Unread postby BA-IV » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:56 pm

You've hunted hard and got a mature buck in range, but somehow he got your wind, heard a weird noise, didn't feel something was right, anything, he just didn't come in range. How does he react on average? Does he move a 100 yards and go back to acting normal, is he on edge for the rest of the day or night, does he forget what happened? What's your thoughts? It's all based on so many variables it's impossible to say, I know, just looking for thoughts on what you think a mature buck does afterwards.

Obviously this happened to me, and it got me thinking about how the rest of his evening was going to play out, and how exactly it affected his routine.

Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Re: Boogering a Buck and the Consequences

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:12 pm

Are you hunting in Louisiana
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:15 pm

Yeah this is Ben off the EHL team last year.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:21 pm

If it's just a scent bump and he escaped unharassed then I would think he's looking for the safest place to lay low and wait for dark to slip out. If he seen you and smelled you he's probably gonna make a break for it and leave the area for quite a while or at least avoid that area for a while. But we see time and time again where bucks get bumped only to come right back in an hour later. But we see dan stacking beds as well. Maybe he just moves to his next bed.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:09 pm

Depends on situation, amount pressure etc but from my experience if you bump him once near secure bedding he will be right back. Bump him a second time in that same spot he is gone for good from that spot.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”