Booger the buck, do you scout out the spot further or back out?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Natenlsn2

Booger the buck, do you scout out the spot further or back out?

Unread postby Natenlsn2 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:15 am

Wondering some thoughts, if you are sneaking along looking for hot sign and you booger a big buck, he busts out of his bed....would you go any further scouting out that bed (standing in it, looking for rubs) to figure it out more or do you back out?

headgear
500 Club

Re: Booger the buck, do you scout out the spot further or back out?

Unread postby headgear » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:31 am

I might setup and hunt if he didn't see or wind you. I shot one that came back after bumping him earlier that hunt, bowhunter4life did the very same thing this year. There are times when you might know he is gone and you scout it out but there could be times where you setup and hunt, where you come back the next day and hunt it. You might have to try and read the situation and make your best guess based on what you know.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:14 am

I bumped a buck in 2016 - walked right thru the bed and he was back in the same area within a week.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:22 am

IMO...Possibly hunt it? Depending on how hard you bumped him. If not, definitely get the intel on that bedding area you need before you leave.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:05 am

Check out bowhunterlifes recent kill, he just had this happen a few weeks ago and killed him with a stick bow
Make It Happen
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:34 am

I bumped two bucks out of beds this year one was a small one and the other one was. Well. He was bumped
I was bummed and frustrated on the second one.
The first one i bumped was small so i kept pushing too another spot and probably should have stayed and setup.
The second one i bumped i dont think he seen me or smelled me.I then setup and never seen anything that night so i think it depends on how certain bucks react too intrusion. Some bucks tolerate more than others. Some freak out some dont
But what the heck for now on if it happens again ill setup if its a good enough area that im looking for.
The buck wAs bedded there for a reason so who knows if he wasnt wind or sight bumped.wind or sight bumping to me is tough. It confirms too the deer that you were in his sanctuary but who knows Maybe he will come back.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:50 am

For me I love it when I bump a big buck out of an area and for sure I’m going on in and looking that spot over. Get a handle on what is going on there and hunt there for the remainder of the day and following morning. If neither works then in a couple days I’m back in that spot again trying it. To me no better intel than physically booting him out of the spot he was in right then and being able to look it over. Not saying I go through the woods trying to bust every buck out of his bed but if it happens while I’m scouting then I definitely don’t get discouraged by it at all.
bkraus

Unread postby bkraus » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:00 pm

I bumped a buck out of his bed this year. went in and set up, with in an hour he came back to the area he was, granted I couldn't get a shot, but then a couple days later I went back in and i didn't see him, but another buck must of moved in, cause I seen him, so if it's a hot area at the time and you bump one out of there, and he leaves for good, if it prime buck bedding another one might move in. I'd hunt it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”