Best budget portable stand setup?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Sreppep

Re: Best budget portable stand setup?

Unread postby Sreppep » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:09 am

I got a super deal a few years back and got my 3 helium sticks on clearance after season for $30 at academy sports.

I’m In the same boat as you though on a nice affordable stand, I am considering the XOP vanish or millennium M7.

matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:45 am

Also...remember when buying a stand. If you’re going mobile imo you NEED a stand that has some kind of level feature. Again- LW or xop
noxninja

Unread postby noxninja » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:31 am

Killemquietly wrote:The cheapest and most effective set up for Beast style would be a rock harness combined with a homemade sitdrag saddle. (very comfy surprisingly) You can get steel climbing sticks dirt cheap, a little heavier to carry but shouldn't be too bad if you're not having to carry a stand too. Don't skimp on the saftety harness and linemans belt. Your life depends on those...
+1
Sreppep

Unread postby Sreppep » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:43 pm

matt1336 wrote:Also...remember when buying a stand. If you’re going mobile imo you NEED a stand that has some kind of level feature. Again- LW or xop

10/4, was wondering why no one ever mentioned the M7. I’ll definitely be looking into a used LW or a XOP then. Thanks!
Cuzzinfish

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:24 pm

Killemquietly wrote:The cheapest and most effective set up for Beast style would be a rock harness combined with a homemade sitdrag saddle. (very comfy surprisingly) You can get steel climbing sticks dirt cheap, a little heavier to carry but shouldn't be too bad if you're not having to carry a stand too. Don't skimp on the saftety harness and linemans belt. Your life depends on those...

X2

I’ll be getting a rock harness and sit drag delivered this week. First time I’ll be trying the “saddle” option. I paid less than a hundred bucks for both because I found a great deal on the harness. It has a 600 lbs rating which, in my opinion, overkill on safety is underrated.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:12 am

Maybe get a cheap summit climber off of facebook market place, while you save for a Lone Wolf. You won't be able to get in nearly as many tree with a climber, but at least you'll have something to use while you are saving for quality gear.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
CattailCommander

Unread postby CattailCommander » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:30 am

Jonny wrote:The cheapest set up I would go buy new now would be a xop vanish and hawk helium sticks. Would run you $250 plus taxes and shipping if you can find it. So really for $300 (my first set up actually was this) you can get a mobile set up and be able to hunt with it. Might not be perfect but it will be good stuff.

I originally had a climber until this year and getting into the beast style of hunting and went with the XOP Vanish and the Hawk Helium sticks. I bought a 3 pack of sticks plus I bought a single separate stick so I'd have the ability to get higher if I needed. After hunting a few spots already with it this fall, I haven't even used the 4th stick yet but I'm sure the time will come where I'm glad I had it. I don't feel like either of these products are "cheaply" made and both seem very good quality for a relatively "budget" price.
bass28

Unread postby bass28 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:41 am

Sreppep wrote:
matt1336 wrote:Also...remember when buying a stand. If you’re going mobile imo you NEED a stand that has some kind of level feature. Again- LW or xop

10/4, was wondering why no one ever mentioned the M7. I’ll definitely be looking into a used LW or a XOP then. Thanks!

I am using an M100U with 3 Hawk Helium Sticks. Love it so far...little heavier model but very comfortable. I also love the Millennium strap on bracket. Some guys replace that with a versa button and rope but I find it much easier to use the bracket. With a little practice I was able to attach that bracket with no noise.
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:23 pm

I agree on the leveling feature. That's a must, imo. One non cast stand that levels and is worth considering if you find it used is the muddy vantage. Installing a batwing is as simple as bolting it on, and they come with a versa button and lw style strap. Lighter than an alpha with a more comfortable seat. But if you're buying new a vanish would be cheaper.
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:13 am

I really battled with this exact situation this year. I don't know what your budget is for the type of trees your hunting out of but in my case getting a quality hangon was out of the question due to the fact that I then had to buy a way to get in the tree and hang it. So I ended up buying a quality climber. Now this does limit my tree choices but only slightly. A climber is all inclusive as a hunting platform and a means to climb the tree, as well as doubling a a backpack/frame pack. I bought a summit openshot and attached every thing I take hunting to the stand minus the bow lol. I spent 277$ all said and done for my stand and accessories. The best option I found for a hang on the was functional and quality fitting my budget was xstand's back county combo for 279$ including 4 climbing sticks all aluminum. I just felt my better option for the way I hunt was the climber. But these were my final two option before I pulled the trigger on one.
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
AncientSword

Unread postby AncientSword » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:17 am

Someone in my area has an API climber on Craigslist in like new condition for $190.

I do have lots of pines around me, I could probably make it work.

I'm leaning towards saving up for an xop. If the xop vanish was available anywhere, I'd try to get one this season.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:00 am

headgear wrote:If you aren't in a hurry watch craiglist, I picked up a lonewolf hangon for $100 and missed one for $60, there are deals out there if you can be patient. Like you I am picking up some extra stands/sticks for the kids.

There was an LW Alpha in great condition posted last night on Craigslist for $75! It sold in 11 hours.

I got my Assault and 4 LW sticks for $150 last year on Craigslist. The guy had an Alpha in his trunk as well and I am still kicking myself for not buying that!
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
ajandrs

Unread postby ajandrs » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:00 am

A lot of good advice on this thread and like many others have said, "buy once cry once" is really the best way to go. Certainly look around for quality used gear to stretch your funds as much as possible. By "quality" I mean XOP or Lone Wolf as cast platforms are the best way to go IMO, I don't think I'll ever own anything other than a cast platform, even though the Millennium M100U is super tempting with how crazy comfortable that seat is.

I watch my local for sale pages like craigslist and FB quite a bit and I see a ton of climbers, but rarely hang-ons so that tells me what more people are using / moving towards in my area at least. For me I like the idea of a climber, but just can't come up with any reason to buy one when a hang on does everything a climber can do and more ... though climber seats are typically more comfortable.

If I were in your shoes, and I recently was, it would be the XOP Vanish XT stand and the Hawk Helium sticks. That combo will easily put you 16'+ up a tree for $250 brand new ... not sure how you can beat that for top quality gear. The stand and sticks strapped together come in at 22.5# according to my luggage scale, then add your pack / gear on top of that. I've done a few sits so far with this setup and it's perfect, but I do have the Beast sticks in the mail to replace the Heliums.
huntindawg

Unread postby huntindawg » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:15 am

Optics Planet is running a 10% off sale, you can get 3 LW sticks and an XOP Vanish for $251 to your door right now.
AncientSword

Unread postby AncientSword » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:26 pm

huntindawg wrote:Optics Planet is running a 10% off sale, you can get 3 LW sticks and an XOP Vanish for $251 to your door right now.

Thanks, it looks like it will be a few weeks before those are back in stock. I can't find a vanish in stock anywhere.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”