Best budget portable stand setup?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

AncientSword

Best budget portable stand setup?

Unread postby AncientSword » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:01 pm

Hey guys, I know the info is probably here somewhere to find, but I am swamped just trying to read up on getting the beast style tactics down.

I have a couple cheap, ladder stands, but I need to get a portable setup going. Any suggestions on some cheap, usable gear to get me by till I can get some Lone Wolf or maybe Dan's stuff?

I don't really want to just pick something cheap, I would like the best cheap gear that functions well. I do have 12 and 14 year old boys that will be joining me in the woods soon. They will get the hand me downs next season.

Any helpful suggestions appreciated. I have 3 kids and a limited budget, just like lots of you guys out there.

ZSV
500 Club

Re: Best budget portable stand setup?

Unread postby ZSV » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:14 pm

I tried going cheap when I first started hunting mobile. In the long run I ended up spending more. If I were to do it over again I would ground hunt until I could find a good deal on Craigslist. The deals are out there you just need to check constantly. A couple months ago I got an older lone wolf with 3 sticks for my wife for only $150. I’ve never used one, but I think a few guys on here use hawk helium stands. They seem like the best cheapest option to me, but I think they are $150ish for just the stand. Hope I helped a little. Good luck!
“I only live once, I will not die a coward “ - Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel
pewpewpew

Unread postby pewpewpew » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:23 pm

If you are going to really be into mobile hunting, just wait and get a Lone Wolf. I’ve done the cheaper options. I spend probably $500 on several cheaper options. I should have just bought a LW.
Ahawk116

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:39 pm

I agree with these guys. Keep tabs on Craigslist and see if you can find a lone wolf, or xop. I’ve got plenty of cheaper lockons but they just don’t cut it.
AncientSword

Unread postby AncientSword » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:26 am

Thanks for the comments, I'll take them into consideration. The areas I will be hunting are super thick. I'd rather get up in the air a little. Maybe I'll sell some other gear to fund a stand.

I've been watching Craigslist in my area. There is an older LW climber posted for $150. I was looking more for a hang on. I've never used a climber.

What do you guys like for sticks? Any suggestions? I'm not too worried about a little extra weight, don't have to have the absolute lightest.
ZSV
500 Club

Unread postby ZSV » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:38 am

AncientSword wrote:Thanks for the comments, I'll take them into consideration. The areas I will be hunting are super thick. I'd rather get up in the air a little. Maybe I'll sell some other gear to fund a stand.

I've been watching Craigslist in my area. There is an older LW climber posted for $150. I was looking more for a hang on. I've never used a climber.

What do you guys like for sticks? Any suggestions? I'm not too worried about a little extra weight, don't have to have the absolute lightest.

Buying a climber was the first mistake I made when going mobile. In my area it’s very hard to find a tree that they work in and I’d end up settling on the spot I wanted to be in after I scented the area up wandering around.

I use 3 XOP sticks with a rope mod and don’t have any big complaints. I like how they lock together and how big the steps are. I brought one of my wife’s lone wolf sticks with me last hunt to get a little higher and I didn’t care for the step size. It was raining and my boots were muddy. I did not feel safe on the lone wolf stick. My only real complaint with my xop sticks is I’ve got a couple steps that constantly need tightened. I would like to get something different though. I don’t like the moving parts. I might save up for Dan’s sticks, but I also like the idea of the wild edge stepps with their aider.
“I only live once, I will not die a coward “ - Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:50 am

The X stand Xpedition is a good stand for fairly cheap. Performance wise it's about the same as my XOP. Just took more work to silence it.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:02 am

burkhart wrote:
elk yinzer wrote:The X stand Xpedition is a good stand for fairly cheap. Performance wise it's about the same as my XOP. Just took more work to silence it.

Yinzer how did u deal with the attachment the straps to the tree

Just replaced to the ratchet with a cambuckle and it works fine. The hanging bracket is pretty neat actually.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:08 am

If you aren't in a hurry watch craiglist, I picked up a lonewolf hangon for $100 and missed one for $60, there are deals out there if you can be patient. Like you I am picking up some extra stands/sticks for the kids.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:25 am

Like was said, watch various classified sites.

I got my alpha and sticks for less than $150 if I remember correctly. It was cheap...so cheap I took the seller a couple jars of trapping bait (knew he was a fellow trapper).

There's a reason most of us use LWs. I once thought my climber was just perfect. I didn't realize what I was missing. You can hear a guy with a climber on his back or setting up from 200yds away. That alone is huge on setting up on bedded bucks. Also never realized how I had to hunt for a tree to climb...never seemed "hard" to find a tree to climb...but now that I have the LW I learned I don't look for trees. I hunt for the exact spot and climb the tree that grew where I need to hunt. 6" thick...limbs..whatever.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:00 am

Scrap plywood + Spare rope = Free stand
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:12 am

Save and get what you need, don't try to cheap it. Quality lasts a long time.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:31 am

Get a set of WE Stepps, a RC harness and make a fleece saddle. A couple of 10' pcs. of 11mm rope with biners and prussik knot or Ropeman 1 and you can go anywhere with a safe, inexpensive and light set up.
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:18 am

The cheapest and most effective set up for Beast style would be a rock harness combined with a homemade sitdrag saddle. (very comfy surprisingly) You can get steel climbing sticks dirt cheap, a little heavier to carry but shouldn't be too bad if you're not having to carry a stand too. Don't skimp on the saftety harness and linemans belt. Your life depends on those...
Weaver.b

Unread postby Weaver.b » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:46 am

I mowed yards on the side this summer to buy a brand new lone wolf and sticks and mods. My wife stays home with our 2 kids we are broke haha but you can make it happen if you set your mind to it.
When my time upon this earth the days they are fulfilled let me die at least as clean as those I killed

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”