Where do I start?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ztrumble

Where do I start?

Unread postby ztrumble » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:07 pm

I heard an interview with Dan on the wired to hunt podcast. That got me watching some of his videos on YouTube. Needless to say, I'm intrigued. My hunting experience since age 15 has always been hunting the same stands on a family farm every year. I want to start learning something new. Where do I start? This website is overwhelming with a ton of information. I need the super easy beginners guide.

Jackson Marsh

Re: Where do I start?

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:11 pm

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24471

The above link is a good place to start. Dan's DVD's are another (you'll eventually want them all).

Welcome to the Beast!
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:12 pm

Watch the DVDs Dan put together (HB store link above). I was in the same boat a few months ago and the DVDs are a great start. All time best tactical thread - sticky post is also a great resource
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:04 pm

Good luck on your adventure here. Pixie dust doesn't kill big bucks, hard work does. Take faith in what beast tactics are, because they are reading the script from actual deer. I want to give a word of warning; not everyone who hunts wants this whole enchilada. Friends with private family ground will not feel the need, SLOB hunters will want the easy way, and some don't see the effort as fun.
I love it because it gives adventure and knowledge and a real connection to the natural world. New people often need two SOLID years of focus to bring skills up . Have a great season.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
ztrumble

Unread postby ztrumble » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:38 pm

What is the difference between swamp and marsh? (trying to decide which video to get first) would you call it "swamp" if it is wet and mucky in the timber and "marsh" if it is open wet tall grass and cattails? What about areas where it's only seasonably wet? For example spring and fall have some very wet areas but then the summer they can dry out, does that change things?
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:36 am

burkhart wrote:All time threads it’s a sticky ... next dvds ... next scout... next setup.... finally hero photo over big dead whitetail.

Haha! x2
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:09 pm

Learning (unlearning old ways) takes time.Hopefully starts the day after season, not a month out. Tear this site apart, careful what youtube vids you watch, learn deer behavior, learn how to scout effectively, find beds that are used by big bucks, figure out how to setup close.....I've hung around almost 2 years now, and I cant touch most on here. But, most are extremely helpful. It takes time(and more time)...I'm getting closer every sit in part due to this site. :handgestures-thumbup:
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”