Move in or wait?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SneakyHunter

Move in or wait?

Unread postby SneakyHunter » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:43 pm

Tonight was a great night to be in the woods. I was hunting a public land mountain (900ft elevation change from bottom to top). I was about 80yds below where the Mtn begins to get really steep and thick with pines. Acorns were falling all around me. I saw 3 doe early and then a bachelor group of 5 small bucks were below me fighting and messing around for about an hour. Around 6pm I caught the movement of a deer coming off the steep. It was no doubt a PY 8 point. In 20+ years of hunting PA it was the biggest I've ever seen in archery season. He got to 60yds and locked up, and kept flickering his tail quickly. I'm not sure if the wind swirled or he caught movement somehow. But after a few moments he turned and trotted about 10yds and then walked back up the direction of his bed. I know there are other hunters in the area. Tomorrow is scheduled for the same wind. I think he wasn't spooked too bad with the way he reacted, most likely i'm going in early tomorrow and chancing it. I'm curious what most of you would do. Do you guys go back in and move in closer or wait a few weeks until the weather cools down? Thanks for your help.

crankn101
500 Club

Re: Move in or wait?

Unread postby crankn101 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:50 pm

Without a doubt I move in on him tomorrow.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:06 pm

I would go back in tomorrow....exactly same time and path as you did today and get where you couldve killed him tonight

I wouldnt change anything from today except your setup location
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:26 pm

In a few weeks he could be bedding else where, chasing does, moved on or dead.. hunt when things are hot
jporcello
500 Club

Unread postby jporcello » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:04 pm

good luck, i had a decent buck wednesday evening 100 yds away, i debated moving in for the kill and talked it over and thats what i did. i got aggressive and made the move. he didnt show up on thursday but i think i made the right call. like zach just said on the the last THP video "id rather bump him them someone else." hope he shows up tomorrow for you :pray:
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:11 pm

100% capitalize on the information you now have. I’d pay more attention to my access and wind-thermal pull this time, though.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
First Sit

Unread postby First Sit » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:14 pm

I'd move in now and be aggressive. You may have already tipped em off the next sit will prob burn it if you haven't already. They are in the spot now in a few weeks they may not.
BigStick

Unread postby BigStick » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:35 pm

I’m with everyone else! Make your move ASAP! Good luck and let us know how it goes! :pray:
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:41 pm

Exactly, I'd hunt him immediately and setup where you last saw him 40-80 yards from your previous set. The only way I would wait a day or two is if the wind was swirling. I would pick the best wind day for the next 2-3 upcoming days to help keep your scent blowing steady. Good luck!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
SneakyHunter

Unread postby SneakyHunter » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:41 pm

No dice. Nothing showed up tonight. Thanks for all of the encouragement though. I'm going to keep bouncing around until i get eyes on him again.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:51 pm

At least you were able to get back in and give it a try. Im betting with time you will be back on him.

Best of luck.
jporcello
500 Club

Unread postby jporcello » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:37 pm

SneakyHunter wrote:No dice. Nothing showed up tonight. Thanks for all of the encouragement though. I'm going to keep bouncing around until i get eyes on him again.

i just read this post from dan the other day. its an article and this answer hit home for me.

Q: What’s the most important piece of advice you would lend to others to help them be successful harvesting mature bucks during the first part of October?

Dan: Get more aggressive, and go in for the kill on the 1st hunt. And know when to move on to the next spot, next deer, next area. Sitting on the same property over and over, and staying back not to over hunt it is exactly what everyone else is doing. If you do the same, expect the same results.
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”