Bedding Setups For Bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Prairie Sasquatch
500 Club

Bedding Setups For Bucks

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:55 am

This deer season I’ve been trying the beast style hunts.Where I hunt this consists primarily of setting up on cattail bedding off the ground next to corn, soybeans, sunflowers or alfalfa based on the wind. These areas don’t have trees to hang a stand. I’ve had lots of encounters with does and fawns at close range and been within 70-80 yards of three shooter bucks. I seem to be in the general area but I’m not setting up correctly for the bucks.

Is there something else I should be looking for? I’ve been trying to look at tracks as rubs are hard to find with the lack of trees. Or is this just a matter of keeping after it and just having it line up?

Jdw
500 Club

Re: Bedding Setups For Bucks

Unread postby Jdw » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:20 am

Lockdown has some good threads on hunting from natural blinds on the ground.
You can do a search or maybe someone with more computer skill than me can post a link.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Re: Bedding Setups For Bucks

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:00 am

Prairie Sasquatch wrote:This deer season I’ve been trying the beast style hunts.Where I hunt this consists primarily of setting up on cattail bedding off the ground next to corn, soybeans, sunflowers or alfalfa based on the wind. These areas don’t have trees to hang a stand. I’ve had lots of encounters with does and fawns at close range and been within 70-80 yards of three shooter bucks. I seem to be in the general area but I’m not setting up correctly for the bucks.

Is there something else I should be looking for? I’ve been trying to look at tracks as rubs are hard to find with the lack of trees. Or is this just a matter of keeping after it and just having it line up?

It sounds like your doing the right things, Its hard to tell exactly whats not goin in your favor. Its quite possible you may not be pushing bedding hard enough. If you know the exact bed the bucks are using you generally want to be with in a 100yrds or less. Most times less if doable! But it defintally sounds like your in the neighborhood of getting it right. It could be you just need time!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”