October

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

October

Unread postby csoult » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:59 pm

This is not another October lull thread, well, I guess it is in a way. I'm trying to figure out if I'm sometimes wasting my time in the first two weeks of October by hunting bucks rather than trying to fill the two doe tags I have. I had an encounter with a mature buck last week on our farm in Ohio, but here in PA it is few and far between to see a mature buck on public ground in daylight in the first two weeks of the season.

So tell me about a or all mature bucks you killed in the first two weeks of October and how it happened.

Mschmeiske
500 Club
Facebook: Www.facebook.com/mschmeiske

Re: October

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:26 pm

If you’ve done the leg work it is. Heck, I like hunting so much even if I haven’t, id go out! I would pick and choose my stands wisely tho so I wasn’t burning out spots that may come in handy later, etc..
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:59 pm

a good article in this thread on the topic:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46996
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:08 pm

I’m looking more hear everyone’s stories of early October kills.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:16 pm

The earliest I ever killed a deer was on Oct. 3rd years ago. Pure luck rather than strategy so nothing I can offer in those regards. I usually punch tags around Halloween and first week of November.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:58 pm

I don't know if it counts since it was technically September 29th..... Pennsylvania opener.

I had friends wondering why I was up late the night before. Simple answer...I wasn't leaving the house till noon or so.

I pull into the public land parking area about 2 o'clock.

I hike into the spot. It's only about a half mile but for the majority of it, I am within 100-150yds of the buck bedding I found during my winter/spring scouting in 2014.

I knew the bucks bedded in a "marsh bowl" and likely off the top of a hardwood finger. (Can't scout the finger...no access).

I had a north wind. Access was from the south. Bedding is south but JUST ever so east...1 degree wesf with the wind and it may have been over.

My tree was picked based on white swamp oaks that were dropping pretty well.

I knew from the past that they really draw the deer in. And usually well before dark. I was a little further from bedding than I could have been...I was within 100yds or so..but 40yds of that is open timber...but I knew that they typically have no problem coming out there early. It's secluded and they aren't bothered.

I settled into my tree at 415. That was the first time I checked my phone.

6pm almost to the minute I let the air out of him.

His teeth say he was 3.5-4.5yo. I consider that a mature buck and a solid buck for Pennsylvania public lands...he didn't sport the biggest rack..but his body said he was mature and his teeth agreed.

My season lasted about 2 hours.

The key points for the hunt...I knew the bedding and deer movement. I knew the white oaks. There's only a few there. I knew the wind was JUST off from getting me busted...which typically means bucks will feel safer moving further/earlier. The moon forecast had peak movement around 6pm. (Coincidence???). My access was good. I took my sweet time and was quiet getting in.

It worked like a charm for me.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”