Scrape Hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JMAR85

Scrape Hunting

Unread postby JMAR85 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:37 am

When are you guys finding to be the most productive times and strategiesto hunt over/near scrapes? I've read different theories but would like to hear from Beast members about proven methods they've had.

Mathewshooter

Re: Scrape Hunting

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:46 am

My best luck has been near scrapes that are in or just outside thick bedding cover. The bigger and more used the scrape is , the better. Sometimes I make my own around bedding and see which ones get the most use and hunt them the following season. I put Smokeys Pre Orbital scent on the overhanging branch and thats it. Thats all you need to get the bucks to take it over as long as its in a good location. Best time to hunt them is from around October 25- November 10 or from 2 weeks before ,up until, the November new moon and usually right after a rain.
I take my Bowhunting seriously
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:47 am

Whoops....so good I posted it twice :lol:
I take my Bowhunting seriously
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:39 am

Find hunting scrapes the most productive pre rut when the buck your after is in the area! I don't spend a lot of time with them but one scenario I always pay attention to is right after a rain when u have a scrape sandwhiched inbetween 2 buck beds! These always give me a high percentage sighting..

I use a lot of mock scrapes, I don't expect them to draw in deer for miles. Just get a cruiser to stop and give me a good shot if using a certain runway. For this purpose they work great for me
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:51 am

i will hunt over a scrape all season when its close too bedding might noot be active but they are normally put in places deer like too travel threw. i focus on them a lot as soon as they get re opened. there is a short window every year when big bucks hit them at any time of day. often scent checking from down wind a lot of times you find rubs made where a buck does this also. the most productive ones are between bedding.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:57 am

ghoasthunter wrote:i will hunt over a scrape all season when its close too bedding might noot be active but they are normally put in places deer like too travel threw. i focus on them a lot as soon as they get re opened. there is a short window every year when big bucks hit them at any time of day. often scent checking from down wind a lot of times you find rubs made where a buck does this also. the most productive ones are between bedding.

one major thing too remember is bucks will bed where they can watch there scraps so if your standing in it looking it over the buck might already have seen you if you find a bed scrape like this hit it in the mornings and kill him while hes working it before laying down. killed my buck last year like that caught him scent checking it from down wind and killed him cutting up hill too his bed.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:20 pm

Downwind of any scrape near bedding is good.

Most hunters hunt nighttime scrapes and never see anything. Only certain scapes in the right spots are productive.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:14 pm

Everyone seems to be on the same answer here. Scrape near bedding is the ticket. Also I 2nd whoever said to hunt it right after a rain.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:26 am

How close to a thicket are you guys talking about? I found a fresh scrape about 100 yds away from where I am pretty sure a buck is bedding. Are you thinking closer than this. The scrape is right next to (I'm talking 10yds) from doe bedding, which makes it very tricky to hunt in the afternoon...
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:23 am

Scrapes near thick bedding or in close proximity to bedding cover. After rains and in the pre rut stages
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:17 am

I haven't focused on scrapes too much per se, but if I find one that is along a travel corridor, close to bedding, I've had decent luck. Yesterday at 6:30 pm, I watched a nice buck work a scrape along a fence row (travel route). I plan to be up a tree in that fence line in a couple of hours.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:08 pm

Perennial scrapes are gold mines, but they’re very hard to come by.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Buckbreath

Unread postby Buckbreath » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:44 am

Twenty Up wrote:Perennial scrapes are gold mines, but they’re very hard to come by.

I have had a camera on one of these 3 years in a row now. Lots of daytime videos as long as I don't visit too often. I can't access undetected though.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:17 pm

I agree 100% with pre-rut and scrapes, but I’m going against the grain here about scrapes and thick cover. It makes complete sense, but isn’t always accurate. The best method I’ve found is to place a cam over a scrape as soon as you see it pop up. Let it sit all season before checking it. I found a scrape last season in wide open hardwoods, in a creek bottom. Most of the information out there would have you believe it’s only visited at night. I had consistent movement for the same 10 day period each month between 10-11am only on a SW wind.
Wolfofmibu

Unread postby Wolfofmibu » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:43 am

Divergent wrote:I agree 100% with pre-rut and scrapes, but I’m going against the grain here about scrapes and thick cover. It makes complete sense, but isn’t always accurate. The best method I’ve found is to place a cam over a scrape as soon as you see it pop up. Let it sit all season before checking it. I found a scrape last season in wide open hardwoods, in a creek bottom. Most of the information out there would have you believe it’s only visited at night. I had consistent movement for the same 10 day period each month between 10-11am only on a SW wind.

I’ve found similar results where I hunt, I put a cam on a scrape for 3 years and all 3 years it’s been visited my numerous bucks in daylight. It’s not close to any thicket or anything. But is on a nice trail/ travel corridor . I like to hunt these scrapes after a rain or when a super cold day hits. Most of my scrapes I target are usually in the hills . And the bucks seems to visit them on many different winds.. these are rolling hills so that can have something to do with it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”