Found a fresh bed. Hunt it tomorrow AM?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wadegarrett

Found a fresh bed. Hunt it tomorrow AM?

Unread postby wadegarrett » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:15 am

Hey All,

Looking for some advice. Today I scouted a small area where I know a big buck lived all summer. I know, I know, I should have stayed out but I have never walked this ground and I wanted to see if he was still around.

I pulled into the parking lot and there was two fresh scrapes (made this AM) literally in the parking lot. Acorns falling everywhere. I decided to loop around this small area and wasnt seeing much until i started heading back and got within 100 yards of the parking lot and I hit a small cluster of pines (30 ft by 20 ft). The only cluster of pines in the whole area. Under the pines was bedding with hair, droppings, and rubs right in the pines. All around the bedding were 3 scrapes within 10 yards of it. Two of the scrapes were hit this AM. There was also scuff marks coming out of the bedding make it look like a deer was running out of the bed....

I walked all around the small pines and around the bedding, looking for trees, exit trails, etc. I was there for a good 30 minutes. It's obvious that the buck sits and watches the parking lot. There is a strong chance I bumped him this AM when i got out of my truck. Anyways, I don't see any way to hunt this in the evening even if i park up the road. So I picked a couple AM trees to climb....

Question is, do I hunt it tomorrow AM right away hoping he doesn't quite know I was in his bedding? Or do I let it cool off for a week or two? I think there is a strong chance he heads back to the bed today and figures out I was there. But its only 100 yards from the parking lot so my hope is that human scent doesn't bother him too much.

Sorry, dont know how to upload pics, otherwise I would post the map.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

HunterBob
500 Club

Re: Found a fresh bed. Hunt it tomorrow AM?

Unread postby HunterBob » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:56 am

Why not give it a shot? I know Dan often talks about spots like this and bumping a buck out once may not deter him from coming right back the next day.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:06 am

Can you get back in there and hunt it this afternoon?
Im thinking if you bumped him out of his bed you might be able to get back in and set up prior to him returning if you feel his is going to come back today.
In my area its still really hard to beat a buck back to his bed in the am....especially if he is at a vantage point overlooking the oarking are

If you go back another afternoon try and circle the long way around from the parking lot to try and get close to where you think he may be going after getting up
wadegarrett

Unread postby wadegarrett » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:27 am

backstraps wrote:Can you get back in there and hunt it this afternoon?
Im thinking if you bumped him out of his bed you might be able to get back in and set up prior to him returning if you feel his is going to come back today.
In my area its still really hard to beat a buck back to his bed in the am....especially if he is at a vantage point overlooking the oarking are

If you go back another afternoon try and circle the long way around from the parking lot to try and get close to where you think he may be going after getting up

Unfortunately, I can't get back out this afternoon. It looks like tomorrow AM is out too so I just gotta hope he doesn't get too spooked when he hits this bed next. It's pouring now so that may help. I'm forced to wait a few days until I can hunt it.

The buck in our area (PA) have been hitting their beds late from what I am seeing so I think AM could be successful.

PM could work if I loop like you said. His exit trail goes away from the parking lot/road. No way i can park in the parking lot. I'll have to park down the road and loop around.
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:31 am

Yes, it's the last quarter for the moon, new moon on the 8th. Get in there an hour before daylight tomorrow morning. He's likely to come sauntering in to his bed about 10 minutes after legal light. If you miss that opportunity, he might be out browsing acorns around mid day. Especially if it's one of those areas nobody hunts midday. Get in there and catch him coming back for his afternoon siesta. just my .02
wadegarrett

Unread postby wadegarrett » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:55 am

Killemquietly wrote:Yes, it's the last quarter for the moon, new moon on the 8th. Get in there an hour before daylight tomorrow morning. He's likely to come sauntering in to his bed about 10 minutes after legal light. If you miss that opportunity, he might be out browsing acorns around mid day. Especially if it's one of those areas nobody hunts midday. Get in there and catch him coming back for his afternoon siesta. just my .02

Unfortunately I just learned I can't make it out tomorrow AM. I wish I took pics of his bedding. It was 20x20 feet of small pines. Under the pines was littered with white oak acorns, you could barely see the ground. You can see there were spots he actually had to kick the acorns out of the way to lay down and make room. Its like he hired all the squirrels in the area to gather all of the acorns for him!
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:26 am

wadegarrett wrote:Unfortunately I just learned I can't make it out tomorrow AM. I wish I took pics of his bedding. It was 20x20 feet of small pines. Under the pines was littered with white oak acorns, you could barely see the ground. You can see there were spots he actually had to kick the acorns out of the way to lay down and make room. Its like he hired all the squirrels in the area to gather all of the acorns for him!

Yeah, sometimes life gets in the way. We opened on the first here and I've been tied up with business being in the red lately so working my tail off. Give the middle of the day a shot if you can man, In my area very few hunt the middle of the day, They're all gone by ten a.m. and don't filter back into the woods till after 230. The deer know this, and can't resist those acorns... added bonus is you can set up and take down in daylight.
Mrmystic73

Unread postby Mrmystic73 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:48 pm

Best of luck to you! Those are hard scenarios to beat. Sounds like a perfect defensible position for the deer. Maybe try setting up back along that exit trail, using the most cover available to conceal your movements. just, for the love of Pete, stay out of line of sight lol. I know you know that already, really just rooting for you. :happy-cheerleadersmileyguy:
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:44 pm

I say on your next available day give it a shot and see what happens as long as the wind sets up good for the spot.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”