Acorn crop here unpredictable currently.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Acorn crop here unpredictable currently.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:29 pm

I’m noticing very few acorns falling here compared to some years it’s really concentrating the deer.

One thing I’m currently noticing is bucks are preferring fresh dropping white oaks over the ones on ground already.

They are ignoring the red oak acrorns in the bottoms and hitting white oaks along the ridgesides for the most part.

The fresh dropping ones is like a buck magnet right now course you can cover 75 acres and might find 1-2 trees dropping currently. Kinda like finding a needle in a haystack.

Ive been walking 50 yards stop 5 minutes listen for acorns falling move on 50 more yards in my daily scouting.

Hunting right now is hard you gotta know where the bucks bed and know which acorn trees near that specific bedroom is active then get in between undetected. Too much walking areas burned too little bucks might go any which way leaving torward the nearest falling white oak.

Hard to know everything going on in a area while keeping wind and thermal to my advantage.

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Re: Acorn crop here unpredictable currently.

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:33 pm

It seems to get easier by mid October. Good luck and keep at it!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:24 pm

It's been my experience that they always favor white and Chestnut oaks over reds.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:27 pm

Been watching KY deer walk by dropping whites and reds to hit browse... acorns everywhere. Based on the sign, looks like they’re hitting them at some point but aren’t rushing to it at closing time.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:10 pm

The 3 nice ones that came in two afternoons ago came on a line to the white oaks by me.

The one I shot at and hit a branch was at least 8 points would’ve scored at least 140 tall and way outside ears.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:34 pm

I'm finding no reds and the whites look like they are getting ate as fast as they hit. Just caps n crumbs left.
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:00 am

They are hitting them hard here in Louisiana. The only thing that is better right now is persimmons. They will check them before hitting the oaks.
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:12 am

Where I'm at in Illinois, there are more acorns then I have ever seen. Very tough to pattern a deer because we have white oaks everywhere and the tops of the trees are still loaded. I'm thinking it's going to be at least Halloween until they get off the oaks and head back into the Ag. Any of our cameras on ag have pretty much dried up with pictures. I guess the only bright spot is I won't be able to hunt until late October so I won't have to worry about it.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:29 am

In WV/PA, it seems like half of the trees are loaded this year, while the other half are completely bare. It makes patterning the deer a little bit easier. I'm glad to see some acorns finally. It sees like its been a few years since we've had a good acorn crop in my neck of the woods.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
cdg097
Facebook: cdg097@yahoo.com

Unread postby cdg097 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:04 am

Central Michigan here, we have more acorns this year than any recent year I can remember. Very few whites, tons of reds though. There is no rhyme or reason as to where the deer are feeding though. I know they typically prefer whites to reds, but they aren’t keying on the whites, and since the majority of the hardwoods on my farm is reds, very tough to get on them.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:15 am

Still early for acorns to be raining down here and I'm just a couple of hours south of you. I'm doing as you are, getting close to where I want to be and listening for acorns falling before deciding where to setup.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:21 am

im finding the big bucks are still using the most secure bedding regardless of acorns. my main plan is just hitting the big buck beds one buy one. starting with the ones closest too the food.some beds are going too be for later on but there is only one real way too find out. one thing is most beds that do have a good buck are pretty consistent year after year. it just a matter of finding the early beds then remembering them for years too come. if you have seen a big buck in a area from years past start there. and keep an eye out for sign your looking for. big bucks make sign if your not seeing big tracks and tall rubs and big poop. your not really close yet. and somtimes burning a whole day scouting the edge of possible buck bedding is better than hoping. i normally get in woods around 8 or 9 and start looking for sign in areas i suspect are night spots. then i track the buck down and try too figure out what bed he is using if i have no beds marked in that direction i take a guess and setup. remember how a buck enters his bed look for new rubs at bottoms of hills you cant track a buck down like snow but if you take your time you will notice clues. one thing i do is follow deer right now is pay attention to spider webs along the path of least resistance. if the webs are still up from the night the deer did not go that way or your way far back. think how long does it take a spider too rebuild a web. a deer will feed in mornings before he goes too lay down so if you see fresh poop in the oaks he might be bedded real close. just work slow and still hunt stand on back till you find what you want. then make a plan and setup. you might even spot the buck walking and get a shoot you never know.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”