Ever moved for hunting?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

headgear
500 Club

Re: Ever moved for hunting?

Unread postby headgear » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:49 am

tbunao wrote:
comeback_kid wrote:
timberninja wrote:I moved from Michigan to North Dakota for work. Hunting wise, ND is at a minimum 5x better hunting. It’s a real eye opener seeing what’s out there after hunting one state your whole life. Get out West you won’t regret it.

5x better. Wow. Do tell us a bit more about ND

I talk with 3 guys that reside in ND. The videos and pics they send on bucks they chase on public and pass are insane. The one legit was watching 2 190’s on public all summer. Videos of multiple 140’s and 150’s hanging out in the same field. I remember someone had an article about top sleeper states last year and ND was top. I couldn’t agree more

For sure, I use to duck/goose hunt in ND a lot and we use to jump some slobs out of the cattails chasing those ducks. Wish I would have been bow hunting the whole time now but at the time it was a blast.

Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:04 am

I would say for me, I would move for the overall experience, such as living in a more remote location, more options for different types of hunting, a more laid back place to live, etc, great job opportunity. I would NOT move just for size of the antlers, because I don't worry about what others think (and I am not implying that you do). I care about outwitting a mature buck, and even if he scores 140 compared to 170, thats fine by me. Or, at least, it doesn't make me want to move just to get an extra 30 points on antler size. But yea, if you aren't loving where you live now and don't have certain ties (family, etc), it doesn't hurt to try something new and live life by your design. Good luck!
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:48 am

I moved from NY to NE Iowa because that’s where my wife is from and she made me promise that we’d move there before we were 40. She wanted to build a house on a farm her parents own a few miles into MN, but I said, “there is no way I am moving 1000 miles to live on the wrong side of that state line!”
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:58 am

If you can and your wife is on board, why not?
street28ss

Unread postby street28ss » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:32 am

My hope is that I'll be in CO in the next year.
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:40 am

Ive always wanted to move to Iowa but my wife wont leave her family. If I were single I would have been there years ago.
I take my Bowhunting seriously
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:48 am

I already live in the mecca of all things hunted - NY - at least that's what Cuomo tells us.
BorealBushMN

Unread postby BorealBushMN » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:20 am

I grew up in the St.Paul/Minneapolis suburbs and moved up north for the woods and water. Love being up here, but as my love for hunting grows and surpasses my love of fishing, I do at times think back and wish I would have moved to MT or AK prior to domesticating. However, even though the hunting isn’t the greatest, the fishing is world class.

If you can do it, do it!
bowtarist

Unread postby bowtarist » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:48 am

If I didn't have my 2 boys, I'd move to south east Iowa. I was to scared of going off somewhere where I didn't know anyone when I was fresh out of school. Knowing what I know now, I'd of moved in a second. My hope is when my youngest son gets out of school, to move up there. I despise this Alabama heat.
Noreast10pt
500 Club

Unread postby Noreast10pt » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:29 am

We moved from NH to SD this summer.
It wasn't for hunting but there sure is more deer here and I'm less then an hour from a nice piece of public in MN that I've been to a couple times now.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:38 am

I've thought about it...
Even tried too!
Almost made it a 1/2 dozen years ago to Hudson, WI area...

Wife and 8 year old,@ the time, wanted no part of it!
They were right...

Home is where the heart is - when it comes to family. ..

Hunting is my passion - family is my life = find a balance...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:55 pm

I'll let you know tomorrow, literally, :lol:
Prairie Sasquatch
500 Club

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:09 pm

I grew up in Minnesota and went to college in ND. My wife (from ND) and I spent 4 years working in the twin cities after college. Great move for our careers but it made me miserable. Moved back to ND. I literally have more opportunities within 5 miles of my house for deer waterfowl, pheasants and fish than I can find time to pursue.

I would never go back to that life.
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:35 pm

My wife and I plan on moving out to the country in the next 5 years or so. We are waiting till we can do it exactly how we want: Get a big piece of land, build our own house, live there till we die. It will still be Wisconsin but the land purchase will be completely dictated by hunting quality.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:43 pm

stash59 wrote:
tbunao wrote:
tgreeno wrote:
tbunao wrote:Currently in the midst of trying to move to Montana by May. Only for the hunting

Not Wisconsin??? We could of been hunting buddies! I could use a young guy as in shape as you, to help me drag my deer out 8-)

To answer the question...No. Wisconsin is good enough for me.

As much as I’d love to help drag out your brutes I’m going to have to decline. Maybe on my way back

Todd your not looking at the big picture. If Tim moves to Montana. When you get a Montana elk tag. You'll have a place to stay, some one to have all of the necessary scouting done to put you into bulls from the get go and that strong back is even more valuable for getting the minimum of 320 lbs. of boned out elk meat from a browtined bull. Out of the hole most public land bulls are killed!!!! ;) :lol:

There you go Chuck! Now that's a great idea! ;)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”