How often do you hunt over hot sign?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Blakebry123

How often do you hunt over hot sign?

Unread postby Blakebry123 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:24 am

So lets say you're hitting the woods and notice some fresh rubs on the edge of what looks to be bedding area. I know, generally you do not want to hunt in one spot more than once as you will burn it up, but since there is fresh sign, would you consider hunting over that spot for multiple days and see what happens? Or do you risk burning it up since you see all the fresh sign???

Instagram: live_to_ride_94
Snapchat: blakebry123

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel and share my videos:
https://youtu.be/DQ1qTOOgfKo
street28ss

Re: How often do you hunt over hot sign?

Unread postby street28ss » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:47 am

For me, I hunt it until a buck is down or I no longer feel confident in the spot. Kind of a dumb answer but I believe only you can answer that question for your particular situation.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:23 am

yes, if you see sign and it looks fresh, I think you should hunt it.....i've been successful doing just that esp. for rut
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:26 am

During the rut, if I have plenty of time to hunt, I'd rather give a hot spot one day too many sits than one day too few. Invariably the action seems to drop off after the first sit, but that doesn't mean you aren't in the game, especially if there is a reason to believe the sign is based on a local hot doe. Also, a 20-30 yard move may be prudent, and may be enough in some cases.

Early season, my experience (though admittedly much more limited than some of the true beasts here) has been one shot is more than likely what you have, unless the situation dictates you got in and out clean.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:32 am

I don't more than 2 days in a row. Then I either make a move, to better my position, or I hit a new property.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:37 am

I will hunt most of time one afternoon. If I see nothing I will hit it next morning. If still nothing, I start, if not here where? I usually hit next area favorable from there.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:19 am

Hunt it while it’s hot., in my experience though, outside of the rut you will likely burn the spot anyway after the first or 2nd hunt.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:35 am

Its really odd how things evolve as a hunter. About 25 years ago. I was one that would sit in a tree bull headed and think if I sit here long enough he will come by me. I then followed crew. I put up a corn feeder and bought a blind. I tried that for every bit of one weekend. I sat in that blind and thought what am I doing here. This is not me! I climbed out of that blind and said I am going to them. That is where a another chapter begin. Ive been keeping track of dates and trying stay on hot sign every since. Doesn't always work out. But, sometimes it does.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:53 am

Ghost Hunter wrote:I will hunt most of time one afternoon. If I see nothing I will hit it next morning. If still nothing, I start, if not here where? I usually hit next area favorable from there.

I do the same, especially early season when I hunt mornings because I enjoy being in the woods. Find the best sign for the evening hunt, leave stand and hunt again in the morning. If nothing, move on to better sign. Then you can observe sign and note if it was likely evening, morning, or overnight sign based on what you saw. Can then compare to close bedding and take some guesses. It’s all a learning process. Is it perfect or absolute? Definitely not. But I have learned quite a bit doing it, and have had some great encounters doing it as well.

I was about 2 steps away from shooting a buck last year on the morning sit, sitting on a fresh rubline. Was in a buck only area otherwise I could have taken a shot at a doe the night before.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:37 pm

I won’t hunt it multiple days unless on day 2 I have a reason to- new sign.

If on the first sit I don’t see anything I’m moving on, sometimes just past that 1st sit a couple hundred yards, based on fresh sign. If that’s my plan and I see new sign where I sat, outside the rut, I’m probably still moving further in assuming it must have been night sign. Really the only exception for me is if I see a shooter on the 1st sit and had bulletproof access and exit. Even then, I’m picking a new kill tree since the 1st one was a bust, and hopefully if that 2nd sit needs to be within 50 yards of my 1st one it’s down wind of it. If not, I’m skeptical since I’ve rarley got bulletproof access. Who knows where all a buck is walking at night.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:03 pm

Most fresh sign I don’t hunt.

I do hunt it if it is near known bedding.

I don’t just setup on random rubs in woods . Did this for too many years never paid off.

When I do hunt it gets one afternoon sit that’s it.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:04 am

Everytime!
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”