Climbing with a lineman's belt

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

briar
500 Club

Climbing with a lineman's belt

Unread postby briar » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:27 am

Do you climb the tree hands free holding on to the rope when you climb your sticks once they are set up? I always climbed my sticks with 3 points of contact but if I use the rope it is always tangling and I feel less safe constantly letting go of the tree to move the rope up every time I take a step.

How do you do it?

ODH
500 Club

Re: Climbing with a lineman's belt

Unread postby ODH » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:34 am

I flip the lineman's belt up and cinch it just tight enough to maintain its position but still leave enough length to freely take the next step or two. It's a bit of an art but once you figure out where that spot is it becomes routine.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:36 am

Flip it up before you step, and try to get it so its not angled below your waist when you are on the step. I typically hang on to the rope or the next stick, depending on how much leverage I need to step up. A linemans belt isn't something you can throw on day one and have full effects immediately. You gotta play with it a bit to determine how much rope you like having out, how/when to flip it, and stuff like that. Took me most of last year to get everything nailed down with my set up, and this year was like hopping back on a bike. Took a minute, but you don't forget it.

A ropeman ascender is a night and day difference in it as well. Tried the older styles and hate them, even now.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:27 am

I've never used a lineman's belt but just ordered a new Muddy Harness and it comes with one. Seems like it would definitely make setting the stand easier.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:39 am

I like to use a LW strap for a lineman’s because I can adjust it with one hand. I keep it kind of loose as I’m stepping up my sticks. I can hold on to the tree with my left hand and slide the strap up with my right. When I stop to put on the next stick or stand, I cinch it up tighter so I can use two hands. I’m sure I’m not being as technically safe as I should be but if I were to slip or have a step break I’m still strapped to the tree and shouldn’t fall all the way to the ground.

When I get the stand set, I put the tree tether on above the stand and hook up my back tether before I remove my lineman’s belt, that way if I fall climbing on to the platform.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Ghost Pointer

Unread postby Ghost Pointer » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:32 am

Wlog wrote:I like to use a LW strap for a lineman’s because I can adjust it with one hand. I keep it kind of loose as I’m stepping up my sticks. I can hold on to the tree with my left hand and slide the strap up with my right. When I stop to put on the next stick or stand, I cinch it up tighter so I can use two hands. I’m sure I’m not being as technically safe as I should be but if I were to slip or have a step break I’m still strapped to the tree and shouldn’t fall all the way to the ground.

When I get the stand set, I put the tree tether on above the stand and hook up my back tether before I remove my lineman’s belt, that way if I fall climbing on to the platform.

X2
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:31 am

I use one cause i like to be at least tethered too the tree somehow. Never know whens products will fail
Eventually for some reason, wether 6 months from now, tomorrow, or ten years from now its gonna happen.
Besides i know my family likes when i walk in the front door every day. Not 6 feet deep or in a wheelchair not being able too hunt
18 feet closer too god is very cool and nice but 18 is sbout it.
Im just not ready yet too meet the man himself so saftey is my priority. But too each his own. Nothing wrong with ising one or not using one.
Just be safe
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:21 am

There's been numerous discussions online about using rock climbing harnesses. They're pretty inexpensive and - at least with mine - very little metal to clank....I had a saddle maker sew a loop of mil. spec. webbing on each hip. I use a safety lanyard to set my LW sticks/stand easily,quickly,quietly and SAFELY. Once I'm in the stand I reattach the lanyard in a way that doesn't interfere with standing or drawing my bow.

My harness is a Black Diamond. REI carries them.

BTW,I am an arborist and climb trees all year long. My regular climbing harness/saddle is too big,heavy and noisy (and expensive!) to hunt from but I still wanted to set sticks/stand as safely and efficiently if I were at work.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:20 pm

seeds wrote:There's been numerous discussions online about using rock climbing harnesses. They're pretty inexpensive and - at least with mine - very little metal to clank....I had a saddle maker sew a loop of mil. spec. webbing on each hip. I use a safety lanyard to set my LW sticks/stand easily,quickly,quietly and SAFELY. Once I'm in the stand I reattach the lanyard in a way that doesn't interfere with standing or drawing my bow.

My harness is a Black Diamond. REI carries them.

BTW,I am an arborist and climb trees all year long. My regular climbing harness/saddle is too big,heavy and noisy (and expensive!) to hunt from but I still wanted to set sticks/stand as safely and efficiently if I were at work.

I have the same harness and love it.
But i do use a vest too. I have no idea why but i will switch back and forth. Lol
I have the same black diamond from rei. I think i paid 50$ for it
noxninja

Unread postby noxninja » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:20 am

I personally don't use a linesmans belt as my RCH and tether IMO work better and I am not afraid to dangle as needed.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”