Predicting buck bed usage

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Turtlethumperforlife
Facebook: Luke Schmitt

Predicting buck bed usage

Unread postby Turtlethumperforlife » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:10 pm

Hey. So if I have a buck bed that bucks use on a West wind, and let's say for the last two days the wind has been out of the South, but the wind shifts to a West wind in the middle of the day, and let's say the weather is perfect for jumping in that spot, is it wise to do that? Because maybe they have not transitioned into that spot yet because the previous two days the wind was out of the South and the wind switched in the middle of the day for that bedding area?
Is it an important factor to hunt a bedding area after two days of consistent winds for that bedding area? Especially when there isn't any other beds near by for other winds.
Thanks guys !

Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Re: Predicting buck bed usage

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:21 am

The bucks are probably using that bedding area for every wind. They will gett up and move to have the wind in their favor within the same bedding area. That's not to say they won't move bedding areas. What I've learned here is the mature bucks get the best bedding area. They will move if they were bedding in ag and it gets harvested, if the area is constantly pressured, or it could be seasonal bedding. Either way they seem to stay in their bedding area despite the wind. Like I said before, they move slightly to adjust to the wind.

There are more guys on here that may have more experience than me on the subject.
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:37 am

A buck may or may not move in the middle of the day. Depends on how safe they feel getting up and moving around that area and how far they have to go. I’ve seen Bucks get up and mill around inside cover and change beds and lay back down. Usually a short move.

They could shift farther, there’s no always or never situations but I wouldn’t bank on it. If you’re waiting on a west wind to hunt a spot and your gut tells you that wind is what you need to hunt it, be patient and wait on the steady west wind. Don’t burn up a spot in a less than ideal scenario.

When I have a new spot to hit I want everything to be perfect on my first sit because that’s my best chance at killing the deer.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:23 am

I kind of do the opposite, if the west wins shifts to the south I might hunt that spot where the west wind would have busted me but the south wind now creates a crosswind that I can hunt without getting busted. In hill country the bucks very well could switch, however in swamps or off points they might hang tight or just make a small adjustment.
Kcbuckeye22

Unread postby Kcbuckeye22 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:45 am

I've never witnessed it in hill country. Doesn't mean it happens. Most of the time the really good buck beds I find have multi wind direction advantages. I would think it also depends on the time of day. Mid day 10-2 they might be more likely to move than evening 2-6. I figure if its worked for them all day they'll stay put OR move out early to night patterns. I could see them moving 3ft and and bedding back down looking the other direction using eyes as a primary.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”