Arrow hits on bucks that’s leave no blood.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ghost Hunter

Re: Arrow hits on bucks that’s leave no blood.

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:25 am

Glad you had closure Tennhunter3. I know it is let down a little. But, you learn more from short falls than you do from success. One thing for sure he is alive and well and is at top of your hit list. Back up and regroup. You have his number.

I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:19 pm

may21581 wrote:May be a silly question but was the lumenock new or used before? If new did you test it? I reused an arrow with a lumenock last year and shot two deer the same week. The second time around it never came on. After examining it I found it had blood in the contact preventing it from coming on.
Maybe try expanding your search area at night, those lumenocks sure stand out in the dark. If no luck maybe call in the dogs or a search party. Sounds like a shoulder shot but hard to tell. If the hole isn't open you wont see much blood.
And lastly if it is worth mucking things up check known bedding areas or check your cameras if using them. Good luck, been in your shoes before.

It was new and it failed to come on during the shot. Which is why I thought arrow was in deer no glow anywhere.

Though the same one came on this afternoon at random I have no idea why.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:37 pm

Dewey wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:One of the limbs I shot through deflected the arrow I found it this morning in a tree stump.

Let’s just say I guarantee that limb will never block another arrow.

Good news is I was on the bucks bad news is limbs are bad karma. Note to self prune the entire forest.

Just to be clear is was a complete miss right? No blood on the arrow?

No blood or hair.
Their was several small branches I shot through arrow was headed perfectly and the cracking noise was a black brush limb laying on ground sticking up I hit it right infront of buck and arrow deflected.

From my tree I could not see the black limb laying on ground right at falling light. My luminock failed to come on so I figured it was in the deer since arrow was not where deer was.

Really hate to have missed this great buck he was decent easy 140.

The area has a lot of drop offs ditches and slope ground level looks totally different then in tree.

The luminock not coming on and deflection really threw me off. I depended to much on it.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:01 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:
Ghost Hunter wrote:If you had a loud whack noise you probably hit shoulder bone. Buried it up in front shoulder.

How far was shot?
How fast did deer leave when you shot?
How was he running?
Did you see arrow sticking in him?
How did he react when you shot him?

31 yards broadside.
Stuck around did not appear limping.
Hopped uphill a few feet looked around and ran back torward bedding area downhill.

Arrow passed through several small limbs leaves in tree. So it could have deflected.

Arrow made a very loud pop crack when it hit. Happened so fast with leaves in way I’m not sure where arrow hit. No big limbs finger size or larger were in the way of arrow flight.

I was kinda in a shock I really tried not look at horns and focus on shot. Never had a buck of that size in bow range it was a blur. From him walking up to shot and out of view couldn’t have been 2 minutes.

My glowing numelock was not visible anywhere in surrounding area.

Are you sure that you hit it? If the deer stood around and did not appear to limp or look hurt, it is possibly that you missed. Also, you said that you were shooting through stuff, so a deflection is possible.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”