Archery hunt ruined by Queen of the Forest

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Double Draw

Archery hunt ruined by Queen of the Forest

Unread postby Double Draw » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:42 pm

So...I hiked a long distance into the center of a large tract of public land. Had family obligations and the trek was crazy difficult so I didn't get set up until 1pm. The place is a swamp white oak flat and when the acorns are falling deer come to this area at all times of the day. Saw 7 does/fawns in the first 30 minutes of being in the stand. Since a doe was my goal I was quite alert. They were just outside my shooting comfort zone. Suddenly one of the does snorted and they went running away in high velocity mode. I knew they didn't spook from my smell and I didn't have to wait long to find out who the culprit was...a sow bear with 1.5 year old triplet cubs. I estimate she was 300-350 lbs. The cubs also seemed quite large (see picture, sorry, my camera phone is lousy). I had to leave the woods around 5 bc I needed to be home for supper and my wife doesn't like the hunting thing. Five times I tried to let myself down and each time the sow bluff charged my tree and made a wolfing sound. I was pinned in the tree, if you will, and the bears were there for at least 3.5 hours of non-stop eating! I wasn't really scared but I was late for dinner which did scare me even though I texted of my plight. I finally got down from the tree and snuck out a different way when the quartet wandered out of sight though I could still hear them eating nearby. I had to walk the long way back to my vehicle along the road. Anyone else have an experience like this one?
Also, here's the learning experience regarding deer and hunting. 6-8 weeks ago I heard a sound in a tree from about 75 yards away. I decided to investigate and discovered a bear in a swamp white oak. I could hear him eating and chewing from that far away. He broke a good sized branch and the understory looked like a hurricane had gone through with acorn shells and leaves littering the forest floor. When he smelled me he came down the tree so fast he could have ran me over before I could have reacted as I was about 20 yards away. But he split and ran like a train into the swamp. That was before acorns were even dropping here. I did get a video of the event but accidently gave my phone the water treatment within a couple days-first phone I have killed-and lost the video as I had not uploaded it yet. I had never seen this behavior by a bear with my own eyes though I know they are opportunistic eaters.
Since then I discovered evidence of bears climbing white oak trees and eating their fill of acorns on 3 other public properties. The telltale signs are usually tracks, a broken branch or two (I think they push the limit and catch themselves) and claw marks on the trees. The ground is also always littered with acorn shells and caps and leaves with twigs. Being 130 lbs. has its advantages...I can climb most swamp white oaks without aid as their bottom branches are usually close enough to the ground and I can pull myself up and then just climb the branches. So I have seen the claw marks firsthand.
The point, at least for me, is that many, many animals that like acorns can climb up and get them. Deer are one of the few that have to wait until they fall. Maybe that's why they come in to white oaks so often and most times of the day...because the window is short and their are many competitors.

Jackson Marsh

Re: Archery hunt ruined by Queen of the Forest

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:46 pm

That's a cool encounter. Not what you were looking for but good hunt anyway.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:54 pm

No bears around here so I don't have to worry about it. Cool encounter though.
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:55 pm

Never been treed by a bear but I did have a large cow moose that wouldn't leave me alone that kept me in my tree for a half hour longer than I'd planned. It didn't mind my hollering or light and kept milling around and was still crashing around when I got out of the tree and beelined toward the truck.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:38 pm

Wow cool encounter but I don't think she was bluffing, never mess with a mama bear. :lol:
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:45 pm

I have had a big momma sow do that. False charge, smacking the ground, chattering their teeth. If you could throw a big rock and yell they would probably leave.

Have seen many white oaks with branches ripped off and bear tracks poop everywhere. Have only seen a bear up in a tree eating acorns once and had the same result as you. Once bear saw or smelled me he was down the tree about 30 feet in a couple seconds and gone.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:23 am

Even though you didn't come home with venison, I would consider that time well spent in the woods. Cool story.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:02 am

Wow cool story. We don't have many Bear in Ohio so I'm not real used to seeing them. I probably would have pooped my pants :lol:
Double Draw

Unread postby Double Draw » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:53 am

I actually used my deer grunt the first time I tried to get down. She did not respond well. That oak flat already had enough bear poop in it for me to add on!
Deerslayer31

Unread postby Deerslayer31 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:16 pm

I hate bears when bow hunting they are such a pain in the neck and screw up a hunt pretty bad some times. We have way to many in north jersey. For guys that don’t get to see them all the time it’s cool. One week of hunting I seen over 20 different bears.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”