Black bear and dead deer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bass28

Black bear and dead deer

Unread postby bass28 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:29 am

Black bear seem to follow me around during archery season...following my trail in, trying to climb my trees, etc. Happens every year no matter where I hunt. Yesterday during PAs opener was no exception. I had a large male come thru at dark while I was watching a 3 point messing around below my stand.

On more than one occasion I saw deer just before seeing the black bear and I often wondered what would have happening if I had shot the deer and then the black bear came along. Or worse yet, what if I went back for the deer after dark to find the bear there. What do you think a bear would do if they came upon me gutting a deer?

Get this straight...I am never going to stop archery hunting because of the bear...I just need to know if I should be prepared for a fight :)

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Re: Black bear and dead deer

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:47 am

Just buy some bear spray and keep it on you while hunting.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:04 am

I have similar encounters with bears constantly. They are way more scared of us than we are of them. I don't worry about it.

If it came across you gutting a deer or you came across it on your deer it would probably be gone before you even saw it.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Joe68
500 Club
Facebook: Don't believe in facebook

Unread postby Joe68 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:26 am

Last year I seen a video on the Michigan sportsman forum a guy had posted of his encounter with a black bear and his buck he just shot. I believe the gentleman went to retive the buck and the bear intercepted him and drug the deer off. He was yelling at the bear trying to chase it off. Never even fasded the bear. Not sure if he ever recovered the deer or not.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:33 pm

For the most part they want nothing to do with you. Now the neighborhood bears are another story
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:56 pm

get a bear tag for the week of Oct 29th ;)
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:08 pm

999 times out of 1000 I wouldn't worry about it, if they are crazy hungry and don't want to leave when you yell I would back off and give them the deer. If you shot a huge buck then tell the bear to get ready for a fight.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:26 pm

where i hunt i see more bear than deer if a bear hits a blood trail its going faster than a hound dog down the trail. i cant leave a deer sit very long i have too get down and on the deer regardless of the shot. it sucks but that is how it goes for me. what sucks even more is i cant even hunt them on state owned lands now. i have pushed a bunch of bears off dead deer in past normally being very aggressive throwing rocks and yelling works. i remember my buddy hit a nice 8 one year he couldn't find i found the deer 2 hours later buried with just one piece of the rack showing. only reason i found it was because i found a 3 foot wide drag trail going for about 200 yards threw the woods. the bears are constantly messing up my hunts and pushing bucks and other deer out of good areas. they are a pain lol.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:32 pm

Get a bear tag and shoot him too
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:10 pm

Go WWE on the bear. You can takem. Just eat a Slim Jim right before. Go all Macho Man on him.
Flying elbows.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”