NEED MILKWEED!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Northcarolinian

NEED MILKWEED!

Unread postby Northcarolinian » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:42 pm

Just discovered my milkweed I bought from a beast member on this site last year got moldy. Have to have some soon. Does anyone have some they will sell me I just need a few pods I have pay pal. Thanks

I8Venison2

Re: NEED MILKWEED!

Unread postby I8Venison2 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:00 pm

My friend, milkweed is common in North Carolina just like in Wisconsin. I find many pods around public land parking areas as well as bike or hiking trails. You shouldn’t have to buy any. I keep mine in a ziplock freezer bag and it lasts a long time. Check out some trails and let me know how it goes. If you can’t find any, PM your mailing info and I’ll send you some.

United we STAND, divided we FALL!
God Bless America
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:52 pm

I ordered some and they got moldy as well. I spread them out. Put a fan on them and let them dry. I was able to salvage all but 3. Those 3 were more than moldy, they were rotten. I them pealed the moldy pod off and deseeded them. I placed them between 2 air filters and let them dry 2 weeks. Then I placed them in a ziploc
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
Northcarolinian

Unread postby Northcarolinian » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:43 am

I've always looking around the ditches on the highway and such but I can't find it I live on the coast maybe that has something todo with it. I need some like yesterday
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:57 am

When I pick green milkweed I cut a slit in it along the seam. Then I lay it on drying screens and leave it in a cool, dry place where rodents can't get to them, until the pods start to burst. Once the pods dry, I remove all of the fluff and put it into gallon zip-loc baggies. I fill my wind checker bottles from these bags. By doing it this way, I don't have to worry about the pods getting moldy and ruining the fluff. Hopefully this helps you retain more of your milkweed stock, in the future. For now, I could probably spare a few pods, as well. If needed. Assuming you live there, Common Milkweed is native to N. Carolina, so you may have some close. That is a good thing!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”