Beast style with a climber

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Re: Beast style with a climber

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:20 am

HunterBob wrote:I've been looking at some climbers that don't have the guard rail on the top portion. Lone Wolf seems to make some good options, yet they are expensive. What is your guys' experience with the Summit Cobra or Open Shot? Thinking about looking into one of these.

I have four different summit climbers that all have open fronts. I really like them. Been hunting out of them exclusively for about 15 years. I can get set up pretty quickly and silently with out any issues. Like anything it just takes a little practice. The majority of the deer I have shot from them were from sitting position. Only one that isn't so great had a hard frame seat, not the hammock style like the others. It's uncomfortable for long sits. Think it's called the Bushmaster or something. It's an older discontinued model anyway. You can probably find a good deal on an open front one from Craigslist. I see them all the time near me at least.

Although I strictly use climbers, I am still able to be very mobile with them. I do however often find a spot I want to hunt where there are no good trees where I want to be and I end up settling for a lesser ambush position that's not where I really want to be. Also many climber friendly trees tend to have less cover so I often need to get way up high in them so I don't stick out like a lineman on a phone pole. Usually I'm at 20 feet minimum often leaving me with sharp angled shots. Hasn't really been a problem though.

The beast has motivated me in many ways to a different way of thinking and being more flexible with the way I approach things. I bought a xop hang on this year and have used it a few times, I still need some decent sticks, some strap mods and more practice to get comfortable though. I have a few spots I have been wanting to get into for years now but had no good trees. Until now!!

JMax1978

Unread postby JMax1978 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:30 am

Thanks for all the thoughts on this. I am not looking to replace the stand and sticks. Just there are some spots where I can get a climber in and be more comfortable. I am a truck driver and PA roads have given my back a beating for the years. And given the fact that I work nights, go climb a tree at 3am. Take a nap and be secure. I figured it was a good move. On my days off, the stand and sticks will be on my back. But there are areas where that perfect tree is straight and is near bedding.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:35 am

It's a tool worth using. If I know the tree I am going to and am not terribly close to bedding I will use the climber. Also prefer it in a rut setup that I plan on making a few hunts from. But usually there doesnt seem to be a good tree in the right spot so only get to use it sparingly. I have the xop sit n climb model and the summit viper. I almost never use the viper even tho its super comfortable. The sit n climb is just much lighter and quieter.
Make It Happen
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:11 am

I hunted out of my LW last night and I'll be in my climber in the am. Depends on the situation. They are tools, use them for what they are good for.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:29 am

Really depends on the area you hunt. I hunt some in hill country and the areas I've hunted have a lot of options for climbers. In the marshes I hunt the poplar trees usually work well with climbers, but often in flooded timber/cattail mix I end up in a gnarly willow tree that there is no way you could get a climber in. I've also had instances that I changed my mind where I want to hunt based on sign or gut feeling and the only available trees did not work well with the climber.

Climbers are great for getting up and down quickly, often times saves a little weight too. I haven't used my LW hand climber in quite a few years, I just always tend to grab my Alpha because I know it will work in just about any tree.
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:00 pm

I have both, and both get used about the same. All though this year I have a few more spots that the sticks and assault ll will be used. It's definitely worth the investment in having both.
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
Matt6506

Unread postby Matt6506 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:30 pm

I used a climber several years here in ohio, but I found as I got deeper into the beast tactics it wasn't going to cut it. I still have 2 climbers but I hardly ever use them because it's just easier to grab my sticks and tree saddle.
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
- Fred Bear
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:00 pm

I've done many all-day sits with a LW hand climber. Put a Hunt Comfort cushion on and good to go. Down side to a climber is that you can't put it up in any tree you want.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:08 pm

I've killed quite a few bucks of of my summit, but I am also hunting is the east, where there are a lot of tree that are suitable for a climber. Whenever I go to the mid west, I always carry my lone wolf, because more often than not, I won't be able to get a climber into a tree in the spot I want to hunt.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:20 am

I keep my sit and climb for predetermined trees, only. Where I live, there aren't too many limbless trees in the right spot and trimming limbs is prohibited on public, so the climbers usage is very limited. When I am going in blind, the climber stays home. A lock-on and sticks or WE Stepps and saddle will get you in a tree almost anywhere.
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:43 am

Where I hunt you can. We have really tall and straight trees.
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
wadegarrett

Unread postby wadegarrett » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:06 am

I am a 33 year old from PA that has gone through 2 back surgeries. I have a LW hand climber and a LW stand and sticks. If I know the tree I’m climbing, and it can take a climber, I’m taking it over the hang on. For me, it’s quieter, easier to climb, and much lighter. Overall it’s better on my back. I’ve also killed my two biggest buck in it.

With that being said, i always climb the best tree for the situation. If the best tree can only take a hang on, and the 2nd best tree can take a climber, I’m taking the hang on to give myself the best chance to kill a buck.

JMax1978 wrote:Thanks for all the thoughts on this. I am not looking to replace the stand and sticks. Just there are some spots where I can get a climber in and be more comfortable. I am a truck driver and PA roads have given my back a beating for the years. And given the fact that I work nights, go climb a tree at 3am. Take a nap and be secure. I figured it was a good move. On my days off, the stand and sticks will be on my back. But there are areas where that perfect tree is straight and is near bedding.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:10 pm

I have both LW climber and lock-on/sticks and use them both depending on the situation or terrain. Yes you can use a climber to be mobile.
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:22 pm

I have both. Often go into a new spot with sticks and hang on Only to find that perfect climber tree less than10 feet away. I just make a note that that spot is climber friendly and mark in my ScoutLook app. The Lonewolf climber is plenty quiet. You can go beast style as long as the straight tree is there. The negative is when you cross hot sign on the way and no straight tree is available…
CattailCommander

Unread postby CattailCommander » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:01 am

HunterBob wrote:I've been looking at some climbers that don't have the guard rail on the top portion. Lone Wolf seems to make some good options, yet they are expensive. What is your guys' experience with the Summit Cobra or Open Shot? Thinking about looking into one of these.

I have a Summit Bushmaster (now discontinued), which is similar to the Open Shot except the only differences I could tell when comparing them when I bought it was the Bushmaster had a different seat style and a slightly bigger platform. I really enjoyed my Summit and never had any problems with it. This year I finally did buy a hang on/sticks only because switching over to beast style hunting, I couldn't get into the exact trees I need to make it happen. The hang on leaves me with a lot more versatility as far as trees go. Yes the climber is slightly quicker to climb up/down and pack together but 5-10 minutes more of time unpacking/packing a hang on is well worth being in the "right spot, right tree vs right spot, wrong tree.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”