Any good resources for deer hunting in the south? Blogs , books, podcast etc.?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Re: Any good resources for deer hunting in the south? Blogs , books, podcast etc.?

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:55 am

I would say that no matter what state or terrain, there is no better single source resource than right here. The all time tactical thread has more info than one guy can process unless you have a few months of solid reading and studying time.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Jon308

Re: Any good resources for deer hunting in the south? Blogs , books, podcast etc.?

Unread postby Jon308 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:15 pm

WV Bowhunter wrote:I would say that no matter what state or terrain, there is no better single source resource than right here. The all time tactical thread has more info than one guy can process unless you have a few months of solid reading and studying time.
true , probably need to scout more and Ill figure out how deer use the land I hunt.
street28ss

Unread postby street28ss » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:27 pm

Regardless of location, deer need to feed, breed and bed in secure locations. Now the question is how to figure them out based on those. During shooting times, bucks will spend the majority of their time in their bed. Assuming this is true, it seems only natural that we should hunt them near the bedding.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:57 pm

While I certainly agree that it’s a bit different for us in the south, the beast principles, scouting more than you hunt and hunting near where deer spend daylight hours, still very much apply. You can twist and turn pretty much everything here and in dans DVD’s to make them work for your situation.

As for literature, check out warren Womack and the stuff he has put out. Will primos and crews stuff about hunting ms la and ar. On the beast, check post from davet1963, hooks1, basinboy, and pk.

If you’ve got specific questions, ask and we’ll see what we come up with.
Jon308

Unread postby Jon308 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:06 pm

thwack16 wrote:While I certainly agree that it’s a bit different for us in the south, the beast principles, scouting more than you hunt and hunting near where deer spend daylight hours, still very much apply. You can twist and turn pretty much everything here and in dans DVD’s to make them work for your situation.

As for literature, check out warren Womack and the stuff he has put out. Will primos and crews stuff about hunting ms la and ar. On the beast, check post from davet1963, hooks1, basinboy, and pk.

thanks , yeah I guess I’m wondering how to cyber scout for beds , so I can scout more effectively. Seems like they could bed anywhere in the south with the big swamps and thick vegetation we have down here.
Bogle

Unread postby Bogle » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:09 pm

What the others have said. You want find any better info than right here. Warren Womack and Dr Bob Sheppard put out some good deer info that is geared to the South.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:16 pm

Jon308 wrote:
thwack16 wrote:While I certainly agree that it’s a bit different for us in the south, the beast principles, scouting more than you hunt and hunting near where deer spend daylight hours, still very much apply. You can twist and turn pretty much everything here and in dans DVD’s to make them work for your situation.

thanks , yeah I guess I’m wondering how to cyber scout for beds , so I can scout more effectively. Seems like they could bed anywhere in the south with the big swamps and thick vegetation we have down here.

They can. As well as can find food in most places. That’s where the scouting comes into play. As for finding specific worn beds, I don’t find much of that (And it isn’t because I don’t know what I’m looking for). However, you can certainly find what areas are seeing the most buck activity.
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:12 pm

I live in Louisiana and will be keeping records for me and a few buddies. We have some land features that's not covered by Dan directly but I do see some crossover I'll apply to each situation. I'll post results at the end of the year. I know that doesn't help now. Warren Womack has a cool style of hunting in the South. Their are numerous podcast featuring him. Check them out.
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:18 pm

What state are you in?
Jon308

Unread postby Jon308 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:10 am

JakeB wrote:What state are you in?

Alabama
Jon308

Unread postby Jon308 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:20 am

Brandonkinchen wrote:I live in Louisiana and will be keeping records for me and a few buddies. We have some land features that's not covered by Dan directly but I do see some crossover I'll apply to each situation. I'll post results at the end of the year. I know that doesn't help now. Warren Womack has a cool style of hunting in the South. Their are numerous podcast featuring him. Check them out.

Yeah, I did look up Warren Womack , interesting guy.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:01 am

I follow The Beast and THP regularly ...and follow other podcasts when those guys are guests. And there are a few others... I drive a lot for work so that's how I pass the time.

I think you'll find lots of transferable principles, although I've never seen a cattail marsh down here like the ones I saw during the workshop in Wisconsin.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
Ahawk116

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:46 am

I agree with everyone here. I find marshes around here really tough to figure out because all the hog sign. I’ve found multiple beds that seem to be in the perfect spot only to find out upon further inspection that it is a hog bed. Aka mud on the trees nearby.

The most consistent bedding I find around here, or at least the easiest to decipher are in the hills, and edges around young planted pines and cut overs.

That’s a broad stroke at covering a massive topic though.
Jake1991

Unread postby Jake1991 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:06 pm

I really like the Down South Hunting podcast. They have some very informative interviews, to include many of the names mentioned above.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”