Any good resources for deer hunting in the south? Blogs , books, podcast etc.?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HunterBob
500 Club

Re: Any good resources for deer hunting in the south? Blogs , books, podcast etc.?

Unread postby HunterBob » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:46 pm

street28ss wrote:Regardless of location, deer need to feed, breed and bed in secure locations. Now the question is how to figure them out based on those. During shooting times, bucks will spend the majority of their time in their bed. Assuming this is true, it seems only natural that we should hunt them near the bedding.

Totally agree with this. Where I hunted in North GA, there are water and food sources everywhere. Bedding is the best chance you have and even then there are multiple bedding areas. Throw on top of this that most areas are so thick you are lucky to have more than a 15 yard window to shoot and it is tough hunting. I have been scouting much more aggressively this year to start the season and it is starting to help me put the puzzle pieces together.

street28ss

Re: Any good resources for deer hunting in the south? Blogs , books, podcast etc.?

Unread postby street28ss » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:26 pm

HunterBob wrote:
street28ss wrote:Regardless of location, deer need to feed, breed and bed in secure locations. Now the question is how to figure them out based on those. During shooting times, bucks will spend the majority of their time in their bed. Assuming this is true, it seems only natural that we should hunt them near the bedding.

Totally agree with this. Where I hunted in North GA, there are water and food sources everywhere. Bedding is the best chance you have and even then there are multiple bedding areas. Throw on top of this that most areas are so thick you are lucky to have more than a 15 yard window to shoot and it is tough hunting. I have been scouting much more aggressively this year to start the season and it is starting to help me put the puzzle pieces together.

That's the battle that I face where I hunt. There's no real isolated food or water source's in the area. So your best chance is to find their bedding areas and give those a shot. Unless it's rut, you'll have almost no chance killing one on a transition area unless it's close to bedding.
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:39 pm

Jon308 wrote:
Brandonkinchen wrote:I live in Louisiana and will be keeping records for me and a few buddies. We have some land features that's not covered by Dan directly but I do see some crossover I'll apply to each situation. I'll post results at the end of the year. I know that doesn't help now. Warren Womack has a cool style of hunting in the South. Their are numerous podcast featuring him. Check them out.

Yeah, I did look up Warren Womack , interesting guy.

Caught an episode of him today.
Amazing the records he has kept
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:51 pm

Sailfish_WC wrote:
Jon308 wrote:
Brandonkinchen wrote:I live in Louisiana and will be keeping records for me and a few buddies. We have some land features that's not covered by Dan directly but I do see some crossover I'll apply to each situation. I'll post results at the end of the year. I know that doesn't help now. Warren Womack has a cool style of hunting in the South. Their are numerous podcast featuring him. Check them out.

Yeah, I did look up Warren Womack , interesting guy.

Caught an episode of him today.
Amazing the records he has kept

Yes indeed.
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
Pse

Unread postby Pse » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:39 am

I joined the hunting beast because l travel across and hunt in west Texas and I was hoping for some tips on hunting that far south. From what I've seen it's mainly hunting over bait, I'm only going to be over 3/4 weeks at a time and I'd rather try and hunt without bait if possible. In the past I've managed to rattle in bucks from the ground but that only works at certain times though it's very exciting when it does work , or set up on game trails or water .As a side note a lot of what dan has to say about whitetail applies to fallow deer , years back when I first started listening to podcasts with dan on it was like light bulbs going off , it was remarkable that two different species thousands of miles apart had so many common characteristics

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”