Hunting Club Beast Style

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bartleycook

Hunting Club Beast Style

Unread postby bartleycook » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:41 am

Just a thought from a beginner. I know this is probably sacrilege but I joined a hunt club a year ago and have been primarily hunting there (before I hunted public and some private land). I enjoy hunting public as well, but if I am honest, sometimes it is nice to just drive up to the club and sit in a stand. So, I got to thinking, how can bring a little beast style when I am hunting at the club?

The first year I didn't really know what I was doing and it was rough because the deer were highly pressured (of course) and I was learning the place. This season, I am using some of what I have been learning from this forum and I have already been much more successful. I saw the biggest buck I have ever seen at the club in daylight on my second sit and even though I was not able to get him in bow range yet, he is gonna go down soon!

Anyway, my thought process this year has changed in a few ways because of the forum and so I thought I would share for other folks who might be fairly new to hunting like me:

1. I determined this year to only scout areas of the club without permanent stands. This has paid off big time and I have more deer on camera just because I am going where other people are not. This includes public land adjacent to the club that others don't hunt! I even found a spot no one hunts right off the road and near housing that is full of deer and only 50 yards from the road!

2. I am constantly thinking bedding, bedding, bedding. It has helped so much to eliminate spots I know deer are not nearby bedding down.

3. Confidence and Perseverance: I picked one area of the club to scout, scout, scout, so I am more aware of where those deer move and bed. Focusing on learning one area has helped me become more confident that when I sit, I am going to get a chance to see deer. Knowing where bucks and does are bedding from scouting has been really helpful.

Thanks everyone for always being willing to share your hunts and your knowledge--it is making a difference! Also, I am scouting some public land

J Gilbert
Facebook: Instagram: Jonathan Gilbert

Re: Hunting Club Beast Style

Unread postby J Gilbert » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:49 am

That sounds like a good plan and you're definitely on the right track, already seeing a good buck this early in the year.

This is my first year hunting beast-style, but my 22nd in the deer woods and 15th or 16th in the club I'm in now. I'm venturing out onto some public as well, but have a similar plan in place for my club and like you, have already seen a change- my first hang and hunt setup in a bottom just off bedding ended with me seeing a large buck right at dark.. it was too dark to see his head, but his body looked like a steer and couldn't have been a doe or young buck.

The spot near the road sounds jam up, and I would also spend some time scouting the areas where permanent stands are already at as well if likely bedding or a good transition is nearby. Deer learn where those stands are, and generally figure out how to stay just out of sight of them downwind- no need to pay for the full acreage and not take advantage of being willing to work harder than the next guy.

Good luck and keep us updated, sounds like you're putting yourself in a good position for success.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:54 am

What's a hunt club? Is that the samething as a lease? Or wanna those deals where u shoot pheasants out of a basket and chase foxes on horseback while using language like Tally ho while guys in uniforms play trumpets!

Beast tactics can be used anywhere that holds a deer u care to shoot. Just find the overlooked spots.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:07 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:What's a hunt club? Is that the samething as a lease? Or wanna those deals where u shoot pheasants out of a basket and chase foxes on horseback while using language like Tally ho while guys in uniforms play trumpets!

Beast tactics can be used anywhere that holds a deer u care to shoot. Just find the overlooked spots.

Yeah most guys down here call it a hunt club, just leased land where buddies get away and tore up. If they wake up early enough they try to kill a deer! ;)
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
sureshotscott
500 Club

Unread postby sureshotscott » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:02 pm

I have opportunity to join a club like this. Less than $500/yr for year-round access to a 640 acre piece. Does that rate sound reasonable?
Bogle

Unread postby Bogle » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:03 pm

All good advice! The only thing I would tell you is to be careful who you talk to in the club/lease and what info you share with them. Being mobile can create some hard feelings if you arent careful. Not to mention you will end up having company if you start knocking down deer. Especially, since most places only have so many good spots.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:21 pm

sureshotscott wrote:I have opportunity to join a club like this. Less than $500/yr for year-round access to a 640 acre piece. Does that rate sound reasonable?

Read the fine print in the club rules. If there are no club rules, RUN.
Most clubs have either Pin-In/Out systems OR they’ll have designated “Areas” and each member has their own area.

The designated area style can be tough because the president will normally have the best area, Vice President second and so on.. Pin In/Out is better to be a member of..

Some clubs allow no guests, others allow family members only, then a select few can be like Obama’s immigration policy.

$500/year for deer and turkey I’m assuming sounds pretty cheap... How many members on the 640 acres? Ideally you want to shoot for 100 acres per member. Most clubs here avg 50-80 it seems.

Tread lightly and good luck. If you do pay get a signed receipt and all that Jazz
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
bartleycook

Unread postby bartleycook » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:39 pm

Bogle wrote:All good advice! The only thing I would tell you is to be careful who you talk to in the club/lease and what info you share with them. Being mobile can create some hard feelings if you arent careful. Not to mention you will end up having company if you start knocking down deer. Especially, since most places only have so many good spots.

You are right about that, thank you!
bartleycook

Unread postby bartleycook » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:41 pm

I will say this about what I am learning in this whole process as well--that I am especially learning from Dan and THP videos. Hunt the sign. Always scout wherever you go and hunt where the deer are not where you think they are going to be. It is still a process but I am learning!
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:30 pm

Sounds like a good plan. Be mobile, Find bedding, find fresh sign and hunt fresh sign.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:48 pm

Yep I say go for it, hunt where others are not, scout and figure out how the bucks are avoiding other hunters, look for overlooked spots, think about how one wind might be good for a hunter to sit an area but maybe not a buck, even get in early when you think other guys might be pounding the woods and have them push you deer. Lots of opportunity there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”