Rainy Weather Hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Octang
500 Club

Rainy Weather Hunting

Unread postby Octang » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:16 am

I wanted to get a discussion going on bad weather hunting, in particular, your experience hunting deer in light/moderate/heavy rains.

Cuzzinfish

Re: Rainy Weather Hunting

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:19 am

Rain is great for hunting unless there’s lightning, thunder, and gale force winds. Many of my best hunting days have been spent in the rain.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:30 am

I will hunt on drizzle or lihht rainy days.
I wont hunt on days foatcasted for heavy down pours.
Especially biw hunting. Teacking is big in bow hunting
Winds are fine ive seen bucks in high winds and bucks in little too no winds and in between
Now it get around up past 30-35. Well no thanks
Thunder and lightning well thats just a no brainer there
reaper4420

Unread postby reaper4420 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:37 am

Agree with hunting in the rain. I also think that it naturally washes away ground scent, makes ingress and egress quieter, and provides background noise while moving through the woods.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:55 am

I love hunting or fishing in a light rain. There is something about it that’s really soothing to me especially while wearing quality rain gear. Not to mention on overcast wet days hunting pressure is almost nonexistant plus deer tend to move much earlier. What’s not to like about that.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:31 am

Hate rain but hard to not hunt it. Have seen some great deer during light to moderate rain, and have had great hunts following a heavy rain. If you know it’s going to clear up, and can handle sitting in a downpour, do it.

My dad had a huge one dead to rights except his arrow fell of the string. Said it was the biggest bodied deer he has ever seen, and has shot one before that pushed or exceeded the 200lb mark. Middle of a hardwood patch in a light rain.

I sat through a brutal thunderstorm a few years back and saw an insane amount of deer after. Wouldn’t do it again, but it was one of those special days you never forget about.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:52 am

If the thunderstorms hold off, I am planning on throwing on some old tennis shoes and still-hunt through the swamp this evening. The rain this afternoon should make everything nice a quiet. The tennis shoes won't keep my feet dry, but it should give me better dexterity to walk softly
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:38 am

I enjoy hunting in the rain. I ve hunted in the pouring rain and also have tried sneaking around swamps in a dumping snowstorm. A good set of rain gear sure helps! I don't do much sitting in a stand in the rain though. I'll usually still hunt through assumed bedding and scout since it's easy to walk quietly. I have kicked up deer but haven't been able to connect doing this though. Not sure why but I kind of enjoy adverse weather.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:44 am

Tsom wrote:I'll usually still hunt through assumed bedding and scout since it's easy to walk quietly. I have kicked up deer but haven't been able to connect doing this though. Not sure why but I kind of enjoy adverse weather.

This would be a great time to kick up deer and possibly bump and dump. It seems in rainy or windy conditions they are disoriented and dont know what happened. You can also get close proximity to get a good look.

As far as hunting in the rain goes I agree w others... If t-storms are in the forecast for evening then I wont go. If its raining throughout the day and going to stop before prime time then thats a great time to get in a tree while its still raining and be ready for post rain movement. I dont mind average rainy days though and during the rut its a great time to be out. They can also re check scrapes after rains to freshen them up.
sgspencer

Unread postby sgspencer » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:20 am

I try to make every effort to be in my hunting spot when a big rain breaks or during a light/misty rain. Both conditions for some reason get deer up on their feet. I don't care to hunt during a heavy down poor unless I know it is going to break very soon.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:58 am

Big deer move in the rain. Cloudy/darker weather and they know most people are at home which makes them feel safe moving during daylight. I enjoy hunting in a rain. Downpour I stay home
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:03 am

hunter10 wrote:Big deer move in the rain.Cloudy/darker weather and they know most people are at home which makes them feel safe moving during daylight. I enjoy hunting in a rain. Downpour I stay home

I agree. The biggest bucks I see are consistently on rainy days especially when combined with some stronger winds.
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:10 am

<DK> wrote:
Tsom wrote:I'll usually still hunt through assumed bedding and scout since it's easy to walk quietly. I have kicked up deer but haven't been able to connect doing this though. Not sure why but I kind of enjoy adverse weather.

This would be a great time to kick up deer and possibly bump and dump. It seems in rainy or windy conditions they are disoriented and dont know what happened. You can also get close proximity to get a good look.

I might try a little of this this season as I have a few swamps I'd like to scout.
comeback_kid

Unread postby comeback_kid » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:12 am

I know! the forecast for this week sucks
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:55 pm

I absolutely love hunting in a light rain, coupled with a cold front. I almost always see great movement on those days.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”