river/creek bend bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Middleclasshunter

river/creek bend bedding

Unread postby Middleclasshunter » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:48 am

Hello Beasts!! I am a new member and I am trying to find as much info as possible. So excuse me if this has been answered a million times.

Deer will bed on inside bends of rivers and creeks, correct? Outside is typically travel routes? when they bed in inside bends what wind? at their back facing river? and what if the river has multiple S shape bends in the particular area, what the best way beside foot on group to check some off?

any help is greatly appreciated!!
Thanks,
greenhorn beast
Jason (middleclasshunter)

wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Re: river/creek bend bedding

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:13 pm

Welcome! Yes, what you are talking about is an oxbow, and as I understand it they make for great bedding, as the wind blows into them. I also understand they can be quite challenging to hunt...I'm hoping to find out this season, myself. Good luck!

Do a search on oxbows, and river bottoms, I'm betting you will find what you need to know. Also, the Hunting Beast Podcast with Stanley Schmidt, on river bottoms, is very informative.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:55 pm

this point in season mature bucks can be very predictable on travel i would suggest sitting back and glassing and observing for a sit or two before you make a move if there is good cover and edge in the area the bucks might not back all the way up and hang o the edge. this could blow your hunt before you even get up a tree. if its full of sign and you do mess up give it a couple day and try it again. areas this secure will often make the buck want too keep using it. you can get away with this for a little while but eventually its going to get burned. if you think it is back off and hit it in a month or so.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:26 pm

I try to hunt these oxbows as much as possible. Very tough to hunt. What I will say is this; you have to play the “just off wind” and your access has to match that. They are in the oxbows for the wind that day. If wind isn’t setting up for it, they won’t bed there. If the wind is setting up for it, they will, however, if the wind is set up there, you can’t just walk in and sit wherever. Tree selection and access has to be just right and pray for no swirling winds :pray:
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:20 pm

I would start here! There's category's for everything, including river bottoms.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:37 am

typically yes. but I have found many mature bucks bed on the opposite side if the wind, elevation and visual requirements are there. and they often do so as the rut approaches.
Middleclasshunter

Unread postby Middleclasshunter » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:29 am

Thanks for all the info guys! I went in and found the creek was way down and the oxbow that I wanted to scout a deer would unlikely bed there. The banks are 10 15 foot steep pitch. Right now its flooded so that helps with access but I think I need to find different areas like transitions. Tough cause all I'm finding is hogs. I'm new to hog areas and they are in abundance.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”