Hickory nuts

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tim
500 Club

Hickory nuts

Unread postby tim » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:43 am

So whose seen Deer eat em? I know it sounds crazy. About 3 maybe 4 years ago I was gun hunting and 2 fawns came through and started eating hickory nuts, they were making so much noise I thought they hd to be breaking their teeth.... even named them dumb and dumber. Never seen it before and never again that is until last year. Now I’ve got a camera in this same spot for years and last year it happenned again only this time it was every Deer almost that walked by this tree. Video after video of Deer crunching on the hickory nuts and it’s the same tree. It’s borderline ridiculous hearing it . Not sure why but that tree must have some good tasting nuts ever so often they are willing to go through all that to eat em

purebowhunting
500 Club

Re: Hickory nuts

Unread postby purebowhunting » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:20 am

I have pignut hickory, it's a smoother barked hickory, the nut is soft I can bite through them. Deer seem to draw to them as much as red oaks, maybe more so at times.
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:20 am

I’ve seen evidence of them eating them before (lots of poop and tracks under the tree), but I have not actually watched them eat it.

Thanks for bringing this up, I need to check that spot out pretty soon!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:23 am

I not only have watched them eat them but I killed a buck that was feeding on them. He dropped within 30 yards and still had crunched up bits of hickory nut in his mouth after he died. Surprised they eat them, I almost broke my teeth trying to crack one.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:15 am

I watched a doe and yearning eat them around October 1 last year. I thought it was because we didn’t have many acorns but now I think I need to do some more research. :think:
jessejames

Unread postby jessejames » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:17 am

See it every year on one piece of land. Can always hear them eating the nuts before it’s light out.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:29 am

Pignut's are the only ones I've seen deer eat. They do not seem to be a preferred food source around here, though.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”