Deer Hunting Journals

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

may21581
500 Club

Re: Deer Hunting Journals

Unread postby may21581 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:19 am

EllieTheChubb wrote:
may21581 wrote:So just following back up here, how many of you stuck to your commitments on keeping that detailed journal? So for those that have what have you learned and what can you now see? I will start off and share a few, these observations apply to every buck I have seen and harvested in the last three years. So tell me something, is this a coincidence or do journals work?
1. Wind speed 10-25 mph
2. Never a full moon or several days before or after
3. Temps 30-40 degrees Fahrenheit
4. (Public) weekdays only during middle of the week
5. On or near major moon phases

Wanna elaborate this one

Great job on the note taking! I havent done that yet but may have to start.

Let's start off this conversation and let me ask you what is your opinion and understanding on the moon phases? Also there are alot of variables and you may want to PM me on it. I find that about 15 percent believe in it, 70 percent disagree and say its hogwash, and the other 15 percent just have no idea.

"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:37 am

may21581 wrote:
EllieTheChubb wrote:
may21581 wrote:So just following back up here, how many of you stuck to your commitments on keeping that detailed journal? So for those that have what have you learned and what can you now see? I will start off and share a few, these observations apply to every buck I have seen and harvested in the last three years. So tell me something, is this a coincidence or do journals work?
1. Wind speed 10-25 mph

Wanna elaborate this one

Let's start off this conversation and let me ask you what is your opinion and understanding on the moon phases? Also there are alot of variables and you may want to PM me on it. I find that about 15 percent believe in it, 70 percent disagree and say its hogwash, and the other 15 percent just have no idea.

I have noticed movement changes on those bright nights when it never really gets dark but I've honestly never paid attention to the moon that much. That said alot of guys on the beast put stock in the overhead/underfoot moon for daytime activity.

I like to keep an open mind so I was just wondering what regarding the moon phase you were paying attention to and what sort of patterns you saw.
Tmitch14

Unread postby Tmitch14 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:42 am

Even though I always keep a note pad in my pack, this is the one thing I love about my Garmin gps unit. I drop a pin and make notes as needed then download to basecamp and continue putting the puzzle together. With the gps unit I can see exactly on a map where I dropped the pin (in both terrain and elevation) for what I saw or experienced. I also shed hunt with my dog and keep locations where we have found them.
bucksnbows

Unread postby bucksnbows » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:45 am

EllieTheChubb wrote:
may21581 wrote:
EllieTheChubb wrote:
1. Wind speed 10-25 mph

Wanna elaborate this one

I have noticed movement changes on those bright nights when it never really gets dark but I've honestly never paid attention to the moon that much. That said alot of guys on the beast put stock in the overhead/underfoot moon for daytime activity.

I like to keep an open mind so I was just wondering what regarding the moon phase you were paying attention to and what sort of patterns you saw.

I keep track of the moon phases but rarely ever use them as to when to hunt.
But......
A full moon I have noticed more mid morning movement and bump more deer accessing locations in the dark. Usually an hour prior to light.

My theory is they bed earlier under a full moon and get up and move around for some reason mid morning.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:16 am

bucksnbows wrote:
EllieTheChubb wrote:
may21581 wrote:
EllieTheChubb wrote:
1. Wind speed 10-25 mph

Wanna elaborate this one

I keep track of the moon phases but rarely ever use them as to when to hunt.
But......
A full moon I have noticed more mid morning movement and bump more deer accessing locations in the dark. Usually an hour prior to light.

My theory is they bed earlier under a full moon and get up and move around for some reason mid morning.

Often times we forget and think that we are the only ones trying to kill them. Keep in mind coyotes, wolves, us hunters, and any other natural predators to them. With the light of a full moon it is easier for other predators to see them at night under a full moon. I believe it is a safety factor and they feel that it isn't safe to be out as much then and perhaps a little safer during those other times during an overhead period. Keep in mind every property will vary, perhaps what you are seeing on your parcel is a moon influence. Good observation and keep on looking for other details.
I agree with you 100 percent, I dont use the moon alone either on when I choose to hunt. Much more to the puzzle and it is just a piece. There are no guarantees in this, just clues that may increase your odds in the game.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
swwave24

Unread postby swwave24 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:48 am

I used to journal, but switched to filming. I love filming, because I treat it like a journal. I add all relevant information to my videos through editing. Such as bedding, cold fronts, moon, food sources, etc. Not everyone’s thing, but love watching hunts from the previous years. It’s just brings the details to life.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”