Hunting Water Source with Rain

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

whi52873

Hunting Water Source with Rain

Unread postby whi52873 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:16 am

The Arkansas season opener is Saturday (9/22) and there is rain in the forecast all weekend. I've had cameras on a water source (river) all summer and have a bachelor group pretty much patterned with one definite shooter. My questions is, would you hunt over a water source even if rain is in the forecast and will this throw off their pattern? The terrain is rocky and consist of steep ridges with drainage ditches all funneling down to the river bottom.

With Hurricane Florence hitting the east cost, I am sure many people are dealing with this. I've always heard right before/after a rain is good for deer movement but don't know much about how this affects summer patterns. Any advice on early season deer movement and rain would be greatly appreciated!

Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Re: Hunting Water Source with Rain

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:48 am

I'm across the river just east of you. I've got rain in my forecast all weekend as well. I'm just gonna go hunt in the rain and be thankful there's not heat indexes into upper 90s. I may do more stalking now, but I'm definitely going to enjoy the time in the woods.

I would hunt your spot and hope for the best. That rain could mess them up but I think you're best chances are if you stick with your original plan.

Are the deer still feeding on soy beans?

Some of the beans here are yellow and I'm not confident the deer are still preferring to eat them.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:57 am

I'd hunt it. Depending on how hard it rains I may use it to get closer than I would have otherwise.
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:31 pm

I've killed a few in the rain. Both in a stand and on the ground. Given, it wasn't pouring but it was light and steady. I prefer to stalk and scout in those conditions. The walking is less noisy and your sent dissipates quicker. Good luck
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:33 pm

Go for it
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”