Speed of Setup

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Speed of Setup

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:31 am

A trend that I have noticed in the past few years is that people are concerned about the speed it takes to setup sticks and stand. I see videos where people are setting up their setup in 5-8 minutes. I think that is great and all, but my thought process is to be as quiet as possible. I'm thinking, well I could definitely go fast and setup really quick, but it wouldn't be stealthy at all. My goal upon my approach to my tree is to get in undetected. The last thing I need to do, is blow my cover by hurrying up a tree to setup. Anyone else prefer to take their time and be stealthy regardless of how long it takes?

backstraps

Re: Speed of Setup

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:37 am

I see both sides of this... however im more inclined to agree with you.

I want a clean entrance and set up. Trynto donit as stealthy as possible and not create a lot of sweat.

Hiwever, after the last several years if I need to get set up quickly, I can do that and be quiet as well.

I can always leave to go hunting a little earlier if need be hahaha but being stealthy takes time
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:16 am

Slow, smoove and quiet for me, ever how long it takes. Your destination tree is the wrong place to try to make up time, IMO.
street28ss

Unread postby street28ss » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:28 am

Like you guys, for me, there is nothing like the perfect entrance to your stand. Once you are set up, and you got in there stealthy, there is no better feeling. You literally feel invisible.
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:53 am

Being stealthy and quiet is definitely the key ingredient but some don't have the luxury getting in way early and taking their time. I hunt anytime I can after work on the right conditions, but do not get out until 5pm, and then have at least 30 minutes of a drive in the spots I do go after work. Before that time change, it will give me a window to make it out into spots I can get in and have to be somewhat quick in getting everything together and getting the stand up as we all know it's not a quick process. After time change I have no chance.

I can't count how many times I have put up and tore down my setup this summer. I do it so it results in less struggle once the time comes, but if you do it enough you will also realize that you can it fast and quiet.
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:58 am

I never understood why people feel the need to race to hunting height. I have always been a 'slow and steady' person. I recently had a friend want to do a setup challenge with Climbing Sticks VS Wild Edge Stepps and Hang on Stand VS Tree Saddle. I really didn't understand the point since I would never be in a race with anyone other than myself out in the woods.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:09 am

Slow and quiet for this guy, when you rush bad & loud things happen. Although I can think of one instance where if I had setup 2 minutes faster I might have a huge buck on the wall. :cry: Then again I might have a lot less bucks if I wasn't so quiet all the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:19 am

I can set up in 5 minutes but it usually takes me 30-45 minutes going super slow and paying attention to every single movement to avoid any noise that will spook a bedded buck I suspect is very close. I always give myself plenty of time by heading in very early for an evening hunt. This is not the time to be in a hurry. If you do your hunt may be over before it even starts.
fireforeffect

Unread postby fireforeffect » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:46 am

I prefer to take my time on most occasions. That being said, I have located a new spot that will require me to wait for the thermals to switch before I move in and set up. Time will be of the essence. We'll see if I can pull it off, it's gonna be tough. Hill country...
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:03 am

I think everyone wants to be as silent as possible. I guess guys time their setup because people ask how long it takes.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:06 am

It's sort of a balance I guess.

Stealth certainly comes first but I want to get set up in a reasonable amount of time. After work hunts sometimes I am rushing to get in the tree. Morning hunts I'd really rather sleep an extra half hour than climb like an 85 year old on a Sunday drive.

Fiddle factor annoys me, which can be improved with practice. A great example of that was switching from a climber. I was dead silent and up trees in 2 minutes in my climber. Switching to sticks, it was a major PIA, just figuring out how to do that in one trip without noise. Took me hours and hours of backyard practice. At first it was super clunky, but I am smooth and fast, I can be up the tree in probably 5 minutes.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:41 am

I agree stealth is the most important but it does suck when you are in the middle of setting up and your target buck comes by.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:50 am

Slow and steady for me. I like to minimize sweat as much as possible (and I am a huge sweater!), and I don't want to make any noise whatsoever. And, I have a little bit of ADD (undiagnosed of course), and I have found that if I take my time that minimizes mistakes (or metal clunks). I am usually pretty slow getting down as well, don't want to make my presence felt too much in case there is a buck nearby. When hunting with friends they always wonder why it takes me so dang long to get back to the truck or cabin and are annoyed with me :lol:
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:53 am

I focus more on being quiet and keeping my eyes and ears open. If I'm short on time - after work hunt, running late, whatever - I skip the stand and hunt from the ground. It's nice to get in a tree quickly, but it's pretty low on my list of priorities. I'd rather be safe, silent, alert, and not work up a sweat doing it. If you can do those things, and learn through practice to do them efficiently, you'll also get faster.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:15 am

Go in early, go in slow, and setup slow
Same deal coming down and coming out
I think entry is more important than exit but i do try too be just as quiet getting doen and leaving

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”