Speed of Setup

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Re: Speed of Setup

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:00 am

I used to try to get setup as quickly as possible, but have since learned that it is much more important to be as quiet as possible. Nothing is worse than blowing a deer out during your setup.

Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:01 am

When I was younger I would rush to get in and set up and then let the woods ( settle down).
Since then I have learned that seldom happens.

Slow and quiet for me.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:30 am

I try to be slow and methodical. It doesn't always happen that way. I sometimes catch myself rushing, but I'm getting better!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
krent12
Facebook: Kyle Rentmeester

Unread postby krent12 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:52 am

Dewey wrote:I can set up in 5 minutes but it usually takes me 30-45 minutes going super slow and paying attention to every single movement to avoid any noise that will spook a bedded buck I suspect is very close. I always give myself plenty of time by heading in very early for an evening hunt. This is not the time to be in a hurry. If you do your hunt may be over before it even starts.

?
I see your live from the field thread post at like 2 pm that you are going in.. Do you get done with work earlier just to hunt or just have a earlier work ending time?
dewayne

Unread postby dewayne » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:01 pm

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.... even if it takes me 30 min
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:11 pm

krent12 wrote:
Dewey wrote:I can set up in 5 minutes but it usually takes me 30-45 minutes going super slow and paying attention to every single movement to avoid any noise that will spook a bedded buck I suspect is very close. I always give myself plenty of time by heading in very early for an evening hunt. This is not the time to be in a hurry. If you do your hunt may be over before it even starts.

?
I see your live from the field thread post at like 2 pm that you are going in.. Do you get done with work earlier just to hunt or just have a earlier work ending time?

Neither. I didn’t work at all on Monday. If I’m hunting I’m not working that day. My hours don’t allow me to hunt on a work day.
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:21 pm

"Slow is Smooth, and Smooth is Fast!"
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:33 pm

slow is smooth. smooth is fast.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:34 pm

Brandonkinchen wrote:"Slow is Smooth, and Smooth is Fast!"

darn you beat me too it
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:12 pm

I think it tends to be the newer hunters that get caught up with things like setup speed. Guys who have been hunting like this for awhile get it and realize that speed equals noise, which is not an option when setting up close to bedded deer.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:45 pm

Thesouthpaw wrote:I used to try to get setup as quickly as possible, but have since learned that it is much more important to be as quiet as possible. Nothing is worse than blowing a deer out during your setup.

X2

2nd hang of this season, got 4 sticks high and accidentally bumped my stand on the top stick. Didn’t know it until then, but there was a deer bedded 40 yards away on the other side of a really thick transition of the military crest. Too thick to see the deer, but nothing like 6-7 blows for a solid minute to remind you just how critical slow and steady is. 20’ feet up, frozen. Hour hike in, hunt over before it started.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:52 pm

Yup. Slow for me too. I climb up and down the tree for each stick and my stand. I don’t want to be clankn anything. It’ll take me 30 minutes to set up sometimes. Sometimes it’ll take me 5 minutes, depending on the tree and how high I get...in the tree.
jhenrich

Unread postby jhenrich » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:46 am

Evanszach7 wrote:
Thesouthpaw wrote:I used to try to get setup as quickly as possible, but have since learned that it is much more important to be as quiet as possible. Nothing is worse than blowing a deer out during your setup.

X2

2nd hang of this season, got 4 sticks high and accidentally bumped my stand on the top stick. Didn’t know it until then, but there was a deer bedded 40 yards away on the other side of a really thick transition of the military crest. Too thick to see the deer, but nothing like 6-7 blows for a solid minute to remind you just how critical slow and steady is. 20’ feet up, frozen. Hour hike in, hunt over before it started.

Happened to me last Saturday. Snuck in, got the first stick on the tree, and heard one get up and crash through some thick brush. At least I was close :lol:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:07 am

jhenrich wrote:
Evanszach7 wrote:

X2

Happened to me last Saturday. Snuck in, got the first stick on the tree, and heard one get up and crash through some thick brush. At least I was close :lol:

This happens way more than you think. Most times older bucks won't be obvious and snort or crash out of there like younger bucks do. They just sneak out very quietly and you won't even know they left. I spotted a number of bucks over the years sneaking out as I was climbing and they never made a sound. When your setting up in close proximity to beds that danger is always there but the reward is huge if you go undetected. I cannot stress enough how slow you need to move when setting up. I have unknowingly set up within 30 yards of a buck already and was never busted. Saw him bedded when I got up in the tree. Just a little too close for me. :o That is a great feeling knowing you can get away with that. One mistake or foreign sound and that would never be possible.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:33 am

Slow is smooth ...and smooth is fast ...I know that military term gets some flack, because too slow could = dead! But in the terms of hanging a deer stand, I would argue it applies.

- Moving fast/rushing things can be reckless and get you detected.

- Moving slowly, carefully and deliberately is moving 'as fast as possible' w/out detection or increased risk of detection.

I try to be systematic in my approach and setup and practice so that when I'm at my tree, I can get up as fast as possible w/out being detected. But I don't believe in 'throwing caution to the wind in a race to the top. Clearly, speed is important to me but not at the risk of detection.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”