When and Where Do You Shoot Does???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Barker

When and Where Do You Shoot Does???

Unread postby Barker » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:34 am

I ran out of meat pretty quickly last year after only taking a buck. This year I decided to get a doe too but given my limited time and spots scouted to hunt, I want to do it in a way that least impacts the spots I have a target buck at. I figure I'll get about 20+/- hunts this year and does cannot be harvested after the first week in December off public land here. I would hate to waste a hunt to solely go after a doe especially if I don't get one, but at the same time I'd hate to mess a target buck area up real good with all the commotion. I would also hate to put off going after a doe until I get a buck because there's no guarantee when it comes to deer hunting.

Whats your opinion on when and where to harvest a doe? What have you been successful with in the past?

Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Re: When and Where Do You Shoot Does???

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:10 am

I try to cross a couple does off the list first thing. Take the edge off early, no pressure to fill the freezer after that. Then I focus on target bucks on other properties. I hunt public land early season primarily focused on does. I wait for one that is all by herself with no skippers in tow. Sometimes that can be quite the challenge.
Rodd

Unread postby Rodd » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:23 am

I shoot the first one that's a yearling or better that comes along, unless I'm in a spot where I really think I'm on a good buck & he's somewhat regular. I do not worry about whether they have fawns or not. Most that don't have fawns with them at the time still have them. If the DNR was worried about fawn survival they wouldn't let you shoot a doe early in the season.
1bhtr

Unread postby 1bhtr » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:24 am

Hunt Does in the am in October and buck bedding in the evening... I like to does on feed to bed patterns on public that is a safe distance from buck bedding, which in most cases it is...
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:36 am

My doe spots always coincide with easy drags. If it's a haul to get it out it doesn't get shot unless it has antlers.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:55 am

When and where it’s legsl
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:30 am

Grizzlyadam wrote:I try to cross a couple does off the list first thing. Take the edge off early, no pressure to fill the freezer after that. Then I focus on target bucks on other properties. I hunt public land early season primarily focused on does. I wait for one that is all by herself with no skippers in tow. Sometimes that can be quite the challenge.

^^^ This. But then again I'm a born again Trad bow hunter, so whatever pops up tight to me gets the shaft...no spots = no discrimination.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:42 am

If I have a tag, I shoot the first one that walks by. Cause it very well could be the last
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Cuzzinfish

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:47 am

Barker wrote:I ran out of meat pretty quickly last year after only taking a buck. This year I decided to get a doe too but given my limited time and spots scouted to hunt, I want to do it in a way that least impacts the spots I have a target buck at. I figure I'll get about 20+/- hunts this year and does cannot be harvested after the first week in December off public land here. I would hate to waste a hunt to solely go after a doe especially if I don't get one, but at the same time I'd hate to mess a target buck area up real good with all the commotion. I would also hate to put off going after a doe until I get a buck because there's no guarantee when it comes to deer hunting.

Whats your opinion on when and where to harvest a doe? What have you been successful with in the past?

0-60 yards away when I’m carrying a loaded compound bow.

0-300 yards when I used to carry a loaded rifle back in WV. Come to think of it. I get to carry my 30.06 again in PA. 8-)
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:51 am

Rodd wrote:I shoot the first one that's a yearling or better that comes along, unless I'm in a spot where I really think I'm on a good buck & he's somewhat regular. I do not worry about whether they have fawns or not. Most that don't have fawns with them at the time still have them. If the DNR was worried about fawn survival they wouldn't let you shoot a doe early in the season.

X2 mostly. I’ll pass 1 though if it’s gonna be a nightmare to get her out on a work night or if I know I’m near a target buck’s core area.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:31 am

I target does on a private parcel that the land owners want them out of the garden.
Hizzoner

Unread postby Hizzoner » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:36 am

Great topic...if I may ask a follow up question re:hunting does on public land(marsh bedding). I understand from reading and Dans videos that you can find bedded bucks on slight elevations in swamps and edges between red dogwoods and cattails,etc. If I want to improve my odds of taking a doe while hunting bucks should I be setting up back in the oaks on trails leading from swamps to food sources where known buck beds are? How far from the edges should I set up so as not to spook doe groups who may use the trails to go to food sources?

Thanks

Mark
Hizzoner

Unread postby Hizzoner » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:38 am

I guess I also wonder if folks use buck obervation stands as potential doe spots so you can multitask lol.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:33 am

When-if they are close to the truck.
Where-usually private land.

We have some late doe only gun seasons and that’s when i will shoot a few does every year if I didn’t get enough with the bow or muzzleloader.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:18 pm

I shoot them early season in the a.m in higher populated areas I don't intend to buck hunt. Normally get them along there transition back to bed crossing a low fence or ditch crossing. I need something to ensure myself a close high percentage shot. I take the first one through other than fawns or does with young fawns.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”