Hunting with people who don't understand beaststyle

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Hunting with people who don't understand beaststyle

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:56 pm

So this is my first year hunting with the knowledge I gained from the hunting beast. I am not hunting beat style . . . . Yet. But I'm trying to get there! I hunted opening day with a family member who just doesn't get what I'm trying to do. We have shared spots in the past and have killed some deer together but we now have different styles of hunting. Opening weekend was Saturday and we planned to hunt together on land he had access to, so I felt obligated to let him make the calls and boy do I regret that. He has had the same stands in the same trees for a fee years and is always in there checking cameras and just mucking about the woods. I told him maybe we should just play the wind and use climbers. That didn't go over well, he says to me, I know that if I hunt that stand enough a big one will come through eventually...... I know this isn't going to work out the way he thinks. He go one picture of a really big buck there in January and now that's pretty much the only stand he wants to be in .... I don't know how to convince someone to think it of that kind of box, he is pretty closed in lol. All I can say is, I have to do things differently this year, I can't let myself get caught in a trap like that because he will have a hard time getting that buck or any if he continues thinking like that. Do any of you guys have hunting buddies who just don't believe in changing how they hunt?

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Re: Hunting with people who don't understand beaststyle

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:02 am

I hear ya man. Luckily most people I hunt with are mobile but even so if they see a nice buck somewhere they hunt it for days on end.

My dad has been a mobile hunter his whole and his been very successful but I can tell he doesn't buy into hunting buck bedding.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:09 am

I’ve got 6 in my group that are like that. We are on over a hundred thousand acres of public so I just do my own thing.

Does it suck telling family you don’t want to hunt their way with them? Absolutely. But I’m not wasting my time doing that stuff anymore.

Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Some guys don’t get that. My family laughs at me for carrying around a hang on and sticks instead of using pre set stands or a climber. They don’t shoot deer and last year was one of the best for close calls with deer.

But sometimes it’s best to swallow your tongue and go your own way. Especially when you start shooting deer or get on something special
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:16 am

You can honestly use his mistakes and stubbornness to your advantage. Don't do what he does. Change your access, stay away from him, do your own scouting, etc.

No different than hunting Public Land with a lot of guys that will sit the same stand and use the same access routes every time.

Once he sees your success after doing so, maybe then he will change his mind!
Last edited by ScottSpitzley on Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:19 am

We can't all be the same. People are who they are.
My experience with a similar situation was an invite to a "highly desirable" private land hunt with a friend. 80 acres with stands, crops, four wheeler for dragging etc.
My hunting with those guys is different, not better, not worse, just different. Telling him while out there to do something different, is a slight as if his way is not good enough.

At some point you could ask to use a portable with your buddy if you see a hot spot or a specific pattern that can point out the advantage of all the work of moving stands day after day. Beast hunting is not always easy but gives good results.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:26 am

One thing to consider is maybe other people are content or happy hunting their own way. What drove me to discover this place and a new way to hunt was my personal drive for success and drive to learn more. I knew there had to be more to hunting than what I knew before. But some people are just fine hunting the same old stands and seeing the same thing every year. You can't force it on someone. They have to really have a strong desire to go down this road or it just won't happen
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:31 am

I wouldn't even bother trying to convert them, just go and do your thing and show them how to get it done, then try explaining as they catch on or if they get interested. They have to come to you in most cases, you aren't going to convert them if they aren't ready for it.

I had a couple buddies hunting with me one year and I shot a nice one, during the drag we were talking about that spot and the one guy says I would be hunting that all the time. I kindly explained if I hunted it all the time the buck wouldn't be there, you could see the info go right over his head and to this day he still doesn't get it. I could see his little brother was listen and understood that the buck was there because of the lack of pressure but he kind of got it but still likely hunts his old ways. It might take these boys another decade to figure it out but I am slowly feeding them info, then again we could all die of old age before they get it. :lol:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:10 am

Just let him do his thing, and you do yours... The more you tell him your way, the more he will tell you his. Best to lead thru example.

I remember back in the late 80's, early 90's a couple guys I worked with who would constantly tell me how anyone could kill big bucks where I hunted, and that if I hunted in the U.P. of Michigan in the north woods I would fail miserably.I took it as razzing and ignorance. I tagged out on opening day in Wisconsin and was looking for someplace to go and they kept urging me to come up there to there cabin and try real hunting...

When I got up there, it was evident that "real" hunting was sitting over a pile of corn. They had a big map of the property and pointed out everyone's "spot" that they hunt and said stay away from our spots, and pick your own spot...

I was just hunting for the weekend and my plan was to scout all morning and walk the property while they sat over corn and go back to the spot that looked the best for an evening hunt... I found several good looking spots and went back to the best and shot a real nice buck (for up there) probably about 115 class, give or take a little... When we got it back to camp the guys were shocked, and despite hunting there for many years, this was the best buck ever taken on the property.

Now, you can take that a couple of different ways, and theirs was to call it sheer luck. Over and over I heard how lucky I was to do such a thing with no corn or anything... :roll: Now, don't take that wrong, I ain't against corn... Do what you do. I could care less, I just know what works for me...

Tag's back in those days were $75 each and you could buy 2... Which, I did... and the next evening I went out to the second best looking spot and shot an even bigger buck. Right at about the P/Y min. It was no longer luck... I hunted Michigan 2 days in my life and arrowed two shooters.

Now this is where you find out what guys are really made of... They dared me to prove myself and my methods, and I did. Was there some luck involved? Sure... But luck is created. You can either humbly agree, or you can get mad... These guys got mad, and I was actually asked to leave.

Your not going to "tell" your friend about a new way to hunt thats better than his and have him jump aboard smiling. But it might work for him to see you have success... You could also try giving him a couple beast DVD's and see if the message sinks in. Maybe it does, maybe it don't. But you need to be your own man and hunt your way, despite his stubbornness or you won't grow as a hunter.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:25 am

I just don’t talk about deer hunting with many guys....or at least beast style hunting.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:41 am

It is what it is. Just do you.
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:43 am

dan wrote:Just let him do his thing, and you do yours... The more you tell him your way, the more he will tell you his. Best to lead thru example.

I remember back in the late 80's, early 90's a couple guys I worked with who would constantly tell me how anyone could kill big bucks where I hunted, and that if I hunted in the U.P. of Michigan in the north woods I would fail miserably.I took it as razzing and ignorance. I tagged out on opening day in Wisconsin and was looking for someplace to go and they kept urging me to come up there to there cabin and try real hunting...

When I got up there, it was evident that "real" hunting was sitting over a pile of corn. They had a big map of the property and pointed out everyone's "spot" that they hunt and said stay away from our spots, and pick your own spot...

I was just hunting for the weekend and my plan was to scout all morning and walk the property while they sat over corn and go back to the spot that looked the best for an evening hunt... I found several good looking spots and went back to the best and shot a real nice buck (for up there) probably about 115 class, give or take a little... When we got it back to camp the guys were shocked, and despite hunting there for many years, this was the best buck ever taken on the property.

Now, you can take that a couple of different ways, and theirs was to call it sheer luck. Over and over I heard how lucky I was to do such a thing with no corn or anything... :roll: Now, don't take that wrong, I ain't against corn... Do what you do. I could care less, I just know what works for me...

Tag's back in those days were $75 each and you could buy 2... Which, I did... and the next evening I went out to the second best looking spot and shot an even bigger buck. Right at about the P/Y min. It was no longer luck... I hunted Michigan 2 days in my life and arrowed two shooters.

Now this is where you find out what guys are really made of... They dared me to prove myself and my methods, and I did. Was there some luck involved? Sure... But luck is created. You can either humbly agree, or you can get mad... These guys got mad, and I was actually asked to leave.

Your not going to "tell" your friend about a new way to hunt thats better than his and have him jump aboard smiling. But it might work for him to see you have success... You could also try giving him a couple beast DVD's and see if the message sinks in. Maybe it does, maybe it don't. But you need to be your own man and hunt your way, despite his stubbornness or you won't grow as a hunter.

This story is Gold!
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:58 am

matt1336 wrote:I just don’t talk about deer hunting with many guys....or at least beast style hunting.

X2

Penn, just set up down wind of your buddy about 75 yards :D
cw2gsp

Unread postby cw2gsp » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:16 am

ScottSpitzley wrote:
dan wrote:Just let him do his thing, and you do yours... The more you tell him your way, the more he will tell you his. Best to lead thru example.

This story is Gold!

X2
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:17 am

That's a great story Dan :clap:

I have a buddy that usually hunts slightly different than I do. On the rare occasions we share a camp we both go our own ways, we both have fun and occasionally we kill bucks in our own way. It's all good.

Do your own thing, be respectful and have fun.
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:48 am

Incredible story Dan...they seriously asked you to leave after?? That's nuts...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”